//some 3rd party need geo

Windows XP keeps freezing

erkmatrix 11:01 21 Feb 04

Hi ever since I downloaded the new service pack from Microsoft my computer keeps freezing up happens randomly. I have tryed to defragment the hard drive but it crashes before I can. Due to another problem with hyperlinks before i lost my system restore before this problem happens so using that isn't a option.

I have heard about anti crash from click here and just wondered if anyone knows if this would work for my problem.

It seems to happen alot more now than it did. I have always had a problem with my graphics card ATI radeon 9500 crashing and turning the screen black playing games could it be causing this now to crash radomly on windows xp.

Phil

Diodorus Siculus 11:14 21 Feb 04

Start the PC in safe-mode (press F8 at astartup) and that should allow you to do a defragment.

After that, try to ensure that you have all relevant updates, including the latest drivers for your graphics card. guru3d.com is a good place for drivers as they tell you something about each release.

erkmatrix 09:49 22 Feb 04

I managed to defragment it in safe mode thanks.

Still can someone answer if anti crash from the link I posted above is any good cause you have to buy it and wouldn't want to waste my money if it wasn't any use.

erkmatrix 15:26 22 Feb 04

Can anyone help, its really bugging me this as even crashed in safe mode now

gold 47 15:33 22 Feb 04

Check the event log that will show whats causing the error, when i do any dowmloads i turn of antivirus and my firewall if it's Microsoft software yes i know i take a chance.

erkmatrix 16:06 22 Feb 04

These are the errors I found in the event viewer system.

Error

Explanation
The specified service did not respond to a control request (such as pause, continue, interrogate, or stop) from Service Control Manager within the specified time.

The service might be stuck in a loop or waiting on a system resource, such as additional memory.

User Action
To determine why the service is unresponsive, do the following:

Verify that the service is configured correctly.
Verify that the system is in a healthy state, for example, it is not running low on resources.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_TRANSACT_TIMEOUT
Message: Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the %2 service.

Product: Windows Operating System
ID: 7011
Source: Service Control Manager
Version: 5.0
Component: System Event Log
Symbolic Name: EVENT_TRANSACT_TIMEOUT
Message: Timeout (%1 milliseconds) waiting for a transaction response from the %2 service.

Version: 5.0
Symbolic Name: IO_ERR_CONTROLLER_ERROR

Explanation
This problem is typically caused by a failing cable that connects the drive to the computer.

User Action
Replace the cable.

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action
Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Version: 5.2
Symbolic Name: EVENT_BOOT_SYSTEM_DRIVERS_FAILED
Message: The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load: %1

Explanation
The specified drivers did not load correctly. The driver might not be in the expected location.

User Action
Do all of the following:

Verify that the drivers are configured correctly.
Verify that the computer is running the most current version of the drivers.

Diodorus Siculus 16:47 22 Feb 04

I had a look at that anti-crash software and am not sure that it will do anything for you... but maybe it is a wonder product that every user should have.

Better to have a PC that is not prone to crashing... what are you doing with it before the crash? Any particular times when the crash happens?

Try running the sfc utility:

start

run

sfc /scannow

and see what happens.

erkmatrix 22:05 22 Feb 04

Thats it its just completly random and only seemed to occur after I downloaded the service pack from microsoft, was working fine before then.

tryed the scannow facility and came up with nothing.

gudgulf 22:29 22 Feb 04

Are all your graphics card/sound/motherboard drivers etc up to date? Possibly the latest patches from microsoft are causing some conflicts with the drivers you are using.

Also when you say service pack ,do you mean the latest critical update/xp update or a full service pack?

erkmatrix 11:27 02 Mar 04

yeah I mean the full service pack and how do I go about updating my drivers for my graphics card/sound and motherboard.

I have a ATI Radeon 9500 graphics card

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…