Windows XP keeps crashing

Hercules02 17:46 13 Apr 09

Hello
Recently my computer has started to crash at regular intervals. There are no error messages, the system simply freezes, and has to be rebooted. Ived tried safe mode, and that crashes as well.
Its happened in a variety of circumstances, but it always happens after a short viewing period if I open a video file (.rm) in Real Player. I tried opening Windows Media Player and that froze almost immediately.
Any ideas on how to track down the problem ? Its not hard disk space; I have 35 gb.

howard64 18:08 13 Apr 09

it could be an overheating problem - open the case and see if all fans are rotating. Also check for a build up of dust and fluff around the chip and heatsink.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:09 13 Apr 09

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Hercules02 13:26 15 Apr 09

Thanks for Your responses. Ive checked that the fans are all working and I couldnt see any dust. Ive tried a different graphics card, and borrowed some DIMMS from work to swap the memory.
The problem is still there.
The PC is on an upstairs ring main with just 2 radio alarms in the bedroom.
Is there any way I can test the PSU ?
Im trying to get hold of a second hand processor..

Hercules02 22:05 15 Apr 09

Also _ im unable to do a virus/malware scan, as the PC wont stay active long enough :o(((

Hercules02 20:15 22 Apr 09

Hello folks
Ive now solved the problem after replacing the processor.
Thanks for your help and advice.

alexartox 06:08 01 May 09

I think may be overheated your processor and causes problem like this happen...

Try cleanup your ventilation area of your pc, don't let too much dust clouded and the heat starts to build up!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…