Windows XP - is it time for a clean install?

minter 23:36 28 May 04

Have had XP on my computer for over 12 months.

Have had to use "System Restore" several times, and everything has been ok till recently.

Recently had a major problem, and took the easy route of using System Restore again. Only now I am having all sorts of problems, i.e. the computer will not switch off first time it automatically restarts then on the second attempt it shuts down. There are loads of problem messages keep popping up.

I suppose I have answered the question myself, but I am loath to reinstall everything again.

So, the question is, is it time to clear everything off my computer and start all over again.

If I am going to do a complete clean up, what is the easiest way.

Any suggestions . . .

VoG II 23:46 28 May 04

Have a look at click here

dfghjkl 23:52 28 May 04

i am about to do mine,i have had this install running since january this year,i know it is a pain but it is worth it,your pc should run like new afterwards,

Djohn 00:04 29 May 04

This is one of the advantages of having an exact image and backup of your operating system all programs/applications/drivers and fine tuned settings on a separate drive.

Drive image 7 is ideal for this, as are other programs. You can format your C drive if it has been corrupted or just too messy and be up and running with a clean install of everything even your ISP settings/resolution and refresh rate in a matter of minutes.

Quick format of C drive and transfer of all your settings as above with approximately 10 GB of programs/applications/data should take no more than 15-20 minutes instead of the best part of a day.

So if you are going to format and start fresh, install all your programs/drivers/ISP settings etc. Tune your settings to the way you like them then image the drive to a backup drive before you start to add anything else. Update the image each week or as you feel necessary. j.

billyliv 01:00 29 May 04

Hi, Best thing to do is buy a new hard drive, set it as your master, Re-instal XP on it and set your old drive as slave. Cheers, Bill

CurlyWhirly 23:10 31 May 04

I agree with DJohn as earlier in the year I was infected with the Sasser Worm so I just reinstalled my 'Drive Image 7' backup and I was up and running in just over 15 minutes!
Though I hasten to add that I have since downloaded the Microsoft security patches to prevent me getting infected again!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…