Windows XP Invalid Boot. Ini

Newuser2963 18:31 23 Apr 04

My PC came up with Invalid Boot.Ini System 32\hal.dll missing. On contacting Mesh, a rather tedious and expensive excercise, after telling them that I had tried the windows XP CD repair, they suggested reformatting and reinstalling XP. I have not reformatted but reinstalled XP so as to save my data. The speaker in the computer no longer functions and neither does the internet explorer favorites off line.
Any help would be appreciated.
Charles Farr.
71 next month.

Lozzy 18:53 23 Apr 04

Insert the XP CD or the System Restore CD exit out of any wizard that comes up. Then click on Satrt>>Run then type, sfc /scannow then hit enter.

That will restore windows and any corruptions or missing files.

Note the space between the sfc and /

Newuser2963 19:49 24 Apr 04

I've run sfc /scannow but this doesn't resolve the problem.
Any other suggestions welcome.
Newuser2963

tony1160 21:30 24 Apr 04

(are you duel booting with windows98 ?)
but its possible that with you reinstalling on top of xp with xp again that its removed your of line web pages or defaulted the setting, and the speaker inside your tower should only beep once at bootup,which means all ok and more than 1beep can mean trouble... i hope this helps...

ps..did you do a new install of xp or upgrade ,or did'nt you have an option??

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…