Windows XP Installation Issues & Recovery

Revenant 15:24 11 Jan 05

1. Maxtor SATA HDD split in 2 partitions (C & D). This morning I received " Windows root> \system32\hal.dll is corrupt - please re-install".

2. I tried to get to the recovery console via my XP Home disk, after loading my SATA drivers via the F6-route. After R-Repair I DID NOT get the "which installation of Windows do you want to logon to" prompt. Instead I was dropped straght into C: and can not access /Windows ("Access Denied").

3. From C: I tried "bootcfg /rebuild" & "fixboot C:". Neither appear to have worked.

4. I've now installed XP Home again on the partition and have got this install & partition all up & running okay.

My question is, how should I go about repairing my C: drive? I used BootIt to form the partition of a 250 Maxtor SATA into C: 100GB & D: 150GB.

Thanks!
Simon

Revenant 09:26 12 Jan 05

Just bumping this in the hope anyone can help me get access to the C: partition... Thanks.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…