windows xp installation

pj1664 20:32 31 Oct 09

Hi guys slight problem here wonder if anyone can help. I am helping a friend to install xp on a new MOBO and new SATA drive 500gb. Did a slow format as it was a new drive and started instaling win xp but came to a problem when it come to configuring keyboard and region. Each time i try to change keyboard and region the countries just loops to the top of the list and does not not give me any choice of country to choose but only Africaans as keyboard layout and Afganistan as region. How can I stop this from happening? Where have I gone wrong? any ideas would be much appreciated.

GaT7 20:39 31 Oct 09

Don't worry about it too much at this stage, as one can change options from within Windows (click here) once the OS is installed. G

pj1664 20:48 31 Oct 09

Thanks for that Crossbow7 but it wont even let me press next to carry on to the next stage, OK,Cancell and Apply just keep shuddering. the only way to get away from it is to restart the system and the whole thing starts all over again. I have tried intalling from a different cd but the same thing happends.

GaT7 20:52 31 Oct 09

Are you using legitimate Windows' disks? G

pj1664 20:59 31 Oct 09

It is a legit copy. I have used it before on my machine but oviously I have my own xp key and my friend has his own key, the only thing is he lost his cd but you see in this installation I have not even come accross putting in his cd key yet so as far as installation is concern every xp cd is the same apart from the installation xp key, which dirrenciate the licence. Installation shd still go ahead upto the point where the key is installed.

GaT7 21:26 31 Oct 09

Yes, you're right. The disk will not matter as long as it's legit & you'll be using his/her product key.

That's a very strange occurrence indeed. I must have done 30-40 WinXP installs to date & never once come across such a problem. G

pj1664 21:30 31 Oct 09

Crossbow7 thanks for all your input in trying to help me, really appreciate it. just in case you you get any moore ideas that would help please it will be much appreciated.

woodchip 21:48 31 Oct 09

Why not use KillDisk, then Start From Scratch! you should no need to Format the Drive Windows will Prepare it click here

pj1664 00:59 01 Nov 09

hi Crossbow7, just to let you know I managed to sort it out, just started the whole re installation again and it worked. Thanks for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…