Windows XP Install problem

The Teacher 12:13 PM 20 Jul 11

I posted a while ago on a prolem to do with the license key for the above, that problem solved, as I found the key.

However there is a problem with the install itself. It will go so far then I get a blue screen with a lot of blurb on it and the following error coded

STOP:0x000000F4 (0x000000x3, 0x8171C280, 0x8171C3F4, 0x805FA7A8)

Does anyone know what this is? There is also a message that says to restart the PC and when I do the install restarts and gets to the same message.

Also at the bottom of the screen it says "dumping memory"

The install of XP is going onto, as a fresh install, a laptop with Win 2000 on it. It is a GENUINE Win XP CD.

The Teacher

woodchip 12:29 PM 20 Jul 11

Sounds like you have a faulty memory stick, if you have more than one stick try with only one at a time to run setup. are you trying to do a xp repair or a full install to a clean drive

woodchip 12:31 PM 20 Jul 11

PS I just looked at the last part of your thread, if you have not removed Windows K you need to do that first as you cannot load XP over it. You can dual boot it if you have enough disc space

ventanas 12:34 PM 20 Jul 11

Many references to this error code, and the vast majority point to a failing hard drive.

woodchip 12:44 PM 20 Jul 11

If its a Sata drive, Drivers will need loading. Set the Drive you are trying to load to as Master if its IDE

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:46 PM 20 Jul 11

This message is usually due to IDE problems, bad cables or wrongly configured drives.

I think woodchip is on the right path here especially if the error message occurs at the beginning /early in setup.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Cyber Monday deals 2015 live blog: Best UK Cyber Monday tech deals, sales, discounts & offers

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Harry Potter's graphic designers showcase magical props & posters in new exhibition

Apple rumours & predictions 2016: What to expect from Apple in 2016