windows XP infection removal

User-6128CBFF-5CA0-4C4C-8060B50A2595DA9E 08:32 AM 23 Jun 12

I am runing XP Pro (sp3) and have managed to get an infection. It does not let me run some programs which rely on an internet connection, especailly any upload of info. It may have come from my Daughter downloading screensavers, as I seem to have greatly increased incoming emails. I have scanned with A squared, skybot and ad aware and non have picked this up. Any ideas please? I am just downloading AVG to see of that helps but any advice would be welcome.

birdface 08:55 AM 23 Jun 12

Try downloading and running HitmanPro in safe mode to see if it finds any problems.

If it finds any problems you will have to activate it and you can use it for a further 30 days.

Nontek 08:58 AM 23 Jun 12

First, re-start in Safe Mode - repeatedly press F8 during startup, then download and install MalwareBytes. Then run a Full scan, it may take about an hour or so, depending on how much data on your PC, but IMHO it is one of the best. It should get rid of any nasties found.

Good luck.

onthelimit1 09:24 AM 23 Jun 12

Does this infection produce a popup of any sort with its name? This would help identify specific cleaning techniques if MBAM on its own doesn't do the job.

Right, thanks, I have run MBAM but not in safe mode and I have not run hitman pro. AVG has found a couple of things, but I am not sure it's what I need as yet. I will try these options and let you know how I get on.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best Android apps 2015/2016: Best apps for your new phone or tablet - what apps should I download?

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Uniqlo uses your brain waves to find your perfect T-shirt

What everyone thinks of the new Steve Jobs movie | 21 Facts about the Steve Jobs film | PLUS:…