Windows XP how to set up a wifi usb key

Daisy22 12:40 03 Mar 08

I am trying to set up a second computer that is not wireless. I have a usb key provided by my ISP (Orange) to use with a Livebox.

It's picking up the livebox but won't connect because it says it is security enabled and I need the key.

I have the WEP key, but how can I find how to access the computer so that I can manually put the wifi key in that has been provided? I've been into set up an internet connection, but its not bringing anything up so that I can do this.

Thanks everyone

crosstrainer 13:28 03 Mar 08

You should see the wireless network icon in the taskbar area of the second PC (the one with the usb key)

Right click on it and display a list of available networks. (your should be shown)

Click to connect (you should now be prompted for the WEP key)

Should now go online

Daisy22 16:52 03 Mar 08

No it doesn't show a wireless icon, when I click on the internet icon it brings up the available wireless network. When I click on this to connect it brings up an error message that says this network requires a network key, click to connect but then it doesn't bring up the menu where I can put in the network key.

When I look in Internet Connections it shows two icons, one under dial up is Orange but with the modem for the PC, the second icon under LAN etc. shows the wireless connection, but when you right click to connect it it can't find it.

Now I am tearing my hair out!

crosstrainer 17:03 03 Mar 08

Have you got your internet properties set to never dial a connection? Assuming you have broadband, then you donn't need the dialup account anyway.

brundle 17:04 03 Mar 08

Make sure you've pressed one of the buttons on the side of the Livebox, it will then allow pairing for 10 minutes (two of the lights on top will flash until the time is up)

ventanas 17:11 03 Mar 08

Not setting pairing mode will not prevent the box for entering the WEP from appearing, although it's something I have forgotten to do in the past.
I once had problems connecting with a Livebox some time ago. XP settings are a bit grey now but you can try this as it worked for me then. Control Panel\Network Connections. Right click the Wireles Network Connection icon and choose Properties. Choose the Wireless Networks Tab and put a tick in the box to let Windows configure your connection. You will hopefully get the box to enter your code.

Daisy22 18:07 03 Mar 08

I've gone into Network Connections and made sure that the SSID is the Clef WEP key which it is.

Now I am looking at the above key "properties" with a menu for Association, Authentification and Connection.

Network Authentification says open
Data encryption says WEP
then for Network key there are some characters but I can't read what it says as its .......

Is it this information that I should be changing?

I've typed this from the WIFI laptop so I know that the Livebox is working correctly.

crosstrainer 07:44 04 Mar 08

You cannot see the info because you are not supposed to, you can change it, make a note of your new key, and then re-apply to all pc's that wish to access your network.

Daisy22 09:10 04 Mar 08

I am worried about changing the key just in case I end up losing the internet altogether, I am not that computer literate to know how to get it all back.

On trying to reinstall the dongle, I now have a message that says "The Livebox B... requires a network key" so I type in the WEP key and reconfirm it, but then it is not recognising the WEP key. I've done it so many times I KNOW I have typed in the exact code from the Livebox.

Is there something quirky like you can't have a wifi laptop already installed before you try to install the dongle? By that I mean does it matter in which way round the equipment is installed to the Livebox?

ventanas 09:20 04 Mar 08

Full installation instructions for an additional PC

click here

ventanas 09:23 04 Mar 08

Sorry that was the wrong one. Try this

click here+(CD+v2.0)&resultType=5002#Goto312

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now