Windows XP Home User Accounts

joeartis 11:45 19 Aug 04

When I try to set up a New User Account, it appears on the welcome screen but I cannot get any further than the user desktop. Initially an error message

Userenv Windows cannot load the user's profile but has logged you on with the default profile for the system. DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.

comes up, loads the default and thats as far as it goes. Cannot open Outlook and the Internet button just opens MSN USA and no further action.

rawprawn 12:11 19 Aug 04
  joeartis 14:19 19 Aug 04

Thanks for your help rawprawn, unfortunately it hasn`t worked

joeartis 14:20 19 Aug 04

Thanks for your help rawprawn, unfortunately it hasn`t worked

recap 15:50 19 Aug 04

Open the folder named Profile on your C: drive, check that the permissions for the users is set to full access, there should also be a file called NTuser.dat in the folder.

Once you have created a new user, log on as that user and change the desktop setting, log out of the users account.

Go back to the Profile folder and rename NTuser.dat to NTuser.man

recap 16:13 19 Aug 04

There is one other thing you can check joeartis, open the users account and check the path to the Profiles folder. Make sure it is pointing at the correct folder.

joeartis 07:43 20 Aug 04

recap, thanks for your advice. Apart from opening the profiles (C:Windows\Profiles)could you run through on how to do the rest of what you suggested.In the profiles folder I have two folders, Administrator and All Users + ntuser.dat (I copied that there as there wasn`t one). If yiu prefer you can email me with your reply. Thanks again.

joeartis 08:07 20 Aug 04

If the need arises can I reinstall XP straight over the top of whats there at the moment? If not how can I save everything from Drive C to my second hard drive before uninstalling XP and formatting the drive. I don`t have a full copy of XP only the OEM version. Any advice much appreciated.

joeartis 08:08 20 Aug 04

If the need arises can I reinstall XP straight over the top of whats there at the moment? If not how can I save everything from Drive C to my second hard drive before uninstalling XP and formatting the drive. I don`t have a full copy of XP only the OEM version. Any advice much appreciated.

recap 11:43 20 Aug 04

If you navigate to the Profile folder and right click on it, select Properties/Sharing/Permissions make sure Everyone has Full Control.

Now log on as a user, change the desktop setting [just put a Background on], log off. Log back in as Administrator and open the Profile folder and rename the NTuser.dat to NTuser.man. To rename the NTuser.dat right click on it and select Rename.

joeartis 13:18 20 Aug 04

recap opened profiles/sharing there is no option for permissions. looks more like a reinstall is in the pipeline?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…