Windows XP Home, System Freezes on start up

malydee 08:11 05 Aug 05

When I start up and choose my user name, XP loads the desktop and the Icons but freezes at the start tool bar.
I vae had 3 error messages which after subsequent attempts to start, no longer appear. These are:-
1. Error Cannot find import; DLL may be missing, corrupt or wrong version
File "rtl 170. bpl", error 126
2. Trend Micro. The TM proxy module experienced acritical error. Please re-install the programme:,internal error, -5
(PH=1, ENG=0000040)
I would re-install if I could
3. Explorer EXE. Application Error
The application failed to initialise properly (Oxc 0000022). Click OK to terminate the application.
Note this appeared whilst I was using the XP recovery disc.

ICF 08:31 05 Aug 05

What Trend Micro software do you have installed?

denis93c 09:33 05 Aug 05

try starting safe mode ,then put your xp disc in,if the disc starts to run just click on exit on the bottom left.
the click start then run ,in there type sfc /scannow then click ok,note the space after sfc.
after this is done remove your xp disc and restart.
also do a virus scan if possible.

petescully 12:14 05 Aug 05

It looks like a software related problem that may have caused a problem with XP. It looks like it has affected your trend micro software (is your anti-virus program by Trend Micro?). It looks like a virus, that has affected your AV and possibly explorer. Failing that it could be hardware related.

Like denis93c says - in safe mode, try sfc /scannow.
If you do have trend micro antivirus - Remove it whilst in safe mode. *But I would highly recommed you get another piece of 'up-to-date AV software' and check for viruses again whilst in safe mode.*
(Something like stinger by mcafee might be your easiest method - click here - unfortunately its not been updated for a little while. - but it might help. Failing that have a look at symantec.com 's virus library of information there are several (hundred probably!) that affect explorer.exe.)

Check to see if its working correctly.
After that, run the Windows XP setup disc and try to repair. If not, then maybe a reinstall is the only software option left.

malydee 12:36 08 Aug 05

Although problem is resolved, I am still getting the message "Unable to remove Tmsshell.dll 11.00.1253 Tmdshellmodule removed\by\from C/Programme Files"

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…