Windows XP Home (Retail) or (OEM)

I am about to embark on my 1st. self build, but am unsure of whether to purchase Retail or Oem versions of XP Home O/S. Because of the large difference in cost, could any one please tell me the advantages/disadvantages of both.

Diodorus Siculus 12:06 26 Mar 04

With the OEM, you get no support direct from MS; if you are confident enough to self-build, then you should not need it. Support should come from the retailer of the software, rather than manufacturer, ie MS. You will still be able to use all the MS online help, their feature and so forth.

Save your pounds and go with OEM.

JerryJay 12:06 26 Mar 04

OEM can only be used for new machine, so it is fine for your case. You cannot get technical support from Microsoft with OEM version, but I do not think you will need a lot of support. And even with retail version, it may not be very easy to get support from MS without big phone bill.

Thankyou Guys, your advice is very helpful,and will save a lot of money.

Megatyte 13:41 26 Mar 04

OEM items normally come without software.

vinnyo123 14:10 26 Mar 04

Yes make sure you get a CD copy

Bazz2000 14:17 26 Mar 04

I bought a new pc from a shop with oem windows xp home. Everything was fine until I wanted to upgrade. I was then told that the oem version would only work on the pc "as is". Because I changed it Windows wouldnt work. Just thought id let you know.

Diodorus Siculus 14:19 26 Mar 04

Bazz2000 - that should not be the case if it is a standard CD rather than a restore disk. Did you try the upgrade anyway?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…