Windows XP Home Problems on start-up

Sapins 18:57 09 Aug 05

I have just spent one and a hours on the phone to my Brother-in-Law who is having the following problems after yet another visit from a local expert who charges him £25 a visit and sometimes more "depending on what needs doing", the expert does in my opinion!

This is what happens now,

He starts XP and instead of XP loading without him having to do anything as before, he has to choose from F1 to continue or "del" to enter the system, I presume this means the BIOS!

Then the the floppy drive will not work, it keeps saying insert a disc when he has already done so. He gets a message " Floppy Disc Fail 40" during start up.

He has no Help and Support files!

The "Expert" visited last week and " pulled out the drive cables and re-inserted them" God only knows why. This could be the problem with the floppy, but, my bother-in-Law cannot, does not want to, open the case and see if the cable/s are seated OK.

The computer is nearly 2 years old and is a Tiny bought from Tesco!

This "Bloody" (sorry FE, but, this is the very mildest expletive I can use, the rest are definitely unprintable!)expert has been visiting regularly to sort out various problems and I reckon he has been paid enough to buy a new system. Obviously I cannot just go to the UK and sort this out so any help will, as always, be very gratefully received.

I have "looked" in Device Manager and the floppy drive is installed OK, no Yellow exclamation Marks, it says the device is working ok.

Sapins 18:59 09 Aug 05

Forgot to mention, when he opens a web site he cannot move the Blue sidebar to move up and down the screen.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:52 09 Aug 05

F1 to continue or "del" to enter the system, I presume this means the BIOS!

Pc not finding hard drive --is hardrive seen on POST screen? Set BIOS to auto detect drives. and make sure HDD is first boot device BIOS Settings
click here

Floppy Disc Fail 40

1. Floppy cable not connected properly

2. Bad floppy cable

3. Bad Floppy drive - I/O

sfc /scannow in run box ith CD in drive will scan for and replace mssing / corrupt files in XP and IE may solve help and support and scroll bar problems.

Sapins 22:49 09 Aug 05

Thanks for your reply. I will pass on your suggestions but I fear my B-in-Law will not be confident to carry them out. He can't run sfc as he only has a recovery disc and using that will give him more problems such as redoing the Internet settings and e-mail!

Regards,

Sapins.

Just had a thought, I wonder if there is a restore point he could use, I will check with him tomorrow.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

AMD Ryzen release date, specifications and features: Three CPUs from the Ryzen 7 range now…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…