Windows XP - Home or Professional?

Biggles no more 16:36 24 Apr 03

Fine-tuning my order for my new PC, although I am a retired home user, I have been told I should opt for the Professional version of XP as it is "more stable" than the Home version. Apparently, it also has some useful features (like backup) that is not usually supplied with the OEM Hone version.

Any thoughts?

Elrond 16:39 24 Apr 03

I'm not sure about it being more stable than the Home Edition. It has got extra features such as the backup. But you have to look at the price diff between the two, i.e is it worth paying the difference to get the backup feature or would it be cheaper to buy a seperate backup software. I dont fully know ur uses of a pc but I would imagine the extr features of pro wouldnt be that valuable to you.

Sir Radfordin™ 16:44 24 Apr 03

It is not more stable. It is the same product and the same code underneath.

an OEM product is the same as the one that is sold off the shelf but you don't get a box, a manual or some other bits. The CD will have the same files on it.

With XP the backup component isn't installed in the home version, and if you only get a recovery disk from your PC supplier you will not be able to install it later. XP Home OEM does have the backup components available for install - I've got them.

There is unlikely to be any valid reason to pay extra for XP Pro unless you are working in an NT Domain.

woodchip 16:56 24 Apr 03
  MartinT-B 16:57 24 Apr 03

No question.

jospar 19:44 24 Apr 03

me personnaly i would say home, why? well i have spent the last two months trying to install xp pro on my system. it's been a complete nightmare once i solved one thing another groped up. In the end I thought of staying with win98, but a friend suggested that prehaps xphome might not be so jugmental with my all-in-one printer. so I bit the bullet and gave it a go, it took a 2 attempts to get it right, 1st attempt it wouldn't believe me when I tried telling it, i had the right to access the system panel. Also i did really wont the xp pro, but looking around the home verion I don't think there is enough to make me change my mind to having another go at installing the pro version. so its home for me.

PSF 20:03 24 Apr 03

click here

Basicly the two are the same, The pro edition is more for business use with higher security and netorking functions.

For normal use I would go for home.
The security is still high on the home edition, and the networking is adaqate for normal home use.

If I remember this is for your home and you will not be using the internet due to the cost. So you may as well save on the extra cost and go for Home.

snowy7077 20:34 24 Apr 03

I am a moderate home user with a home pc. I have limited skill into the operations of a PC internals etc, and since my Windows 98se is operating nicely and touch wood without glitch, is there any real poit in upgrading to XP home or Pro?
Also would I have to buy a new Printer and scanner??
Sorry this is not a reply to your question but just another question?

The PC Doctor 20:44 24 Apr 03

I have recently upgraded from Windows98se which I always recommended and insisted on installing on an PC which came through my hands...

I tried XP but had problems with my HP printer and as for my Black Widow Scanner - forget it no XP Drivers.

On the recommendation of a friend I went for Windows 2000 Professional - best thing I ever did.. It's based on NT which is the most stable platform I've come accross.

I would now recommend Windows 2000 best step up I ever did.

Sir Radfordin™ 18:25 25 Apr 03

XP is a step up from Win 2000 so providing your harware is supported there is nothing to be gained from going to 2k, go for XP. It has been summed up as 2000 with some of the problems fixed, and a design by the teletubies!

mcullum_DX4Life 18:38 25 Apr 03

Im afraid XP has way too many bugs even after SP1. I used XP for a good 7 months and have now sold my license for it and have gone back to 2000 cos it was not as reliable or stable.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Surface PC live stream | Surface PC release date, price, spec rumours: All-in-one…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…