Windows XP Home OEM

Greymayne 17:13 31 Dec 04

Microsoft tell me that my OEM XP Home is a "use once" product and I can't reload it on a replacement hard drive or after running f/disc.

Don't s'pose there's a way round this....is there?

ACOLYTE 17:17 31 Dec 04

If its pre-installed and you dont have a cd then no, but if you have the cd and its not installed on another pc then you could swop it around to another pc without breaking any rules as the licence chnges to the pc its installed on,i think thats right but other people with more knowledge w ill put you right.

roy 17:19 31 Dec 04

I think that Microsoft are telling you what the licence permits, not what you may be able to do.

Although I haven't needed to do it I know that a hard disk can be reformatted and the os reinstalled as I know someone who has had to do it more than once. It would, however, need to be re-activated.

bremner 17:31 31 Dec 04

OEM only permits the installation onto one machine - the licence is tied to that machine and dies with that machine - it is not transferable.

but as Roy says in his first sentence.................

alan9900 17:48 31 Dec 04

I'v had to reinstall my oem version several times after mother board and hard drive changes never had any trouble with reactivation either by phone or on the internet

ACOLYTE 17:54 31 Dec 04

Well i have OEM software what has been installed on to a different pc and it still works,you should still get the licence and as long as some part of that pc remains in use then the licence is still vallid and can be used on another pc.Thats why i still have the floppy drive from first pc installed on the other one.not that i think it matters i was just covering any comebacks.

ACOLYTE 17:58 31 Dec 04

Of course im talking 98se and not Xp and not an OS that is locked to say the bios of the pc it was brought with.

bremner 18:11 31 Dec 04

The two differences being highlighted here with OEM are what you can do and what you are actually entitled to do.

Two totally different things.

ACOLYTE 18:17 31 Dec 04

I agree, bremner and hardly anyone does what they are supposed to do,lol but OEM as you say allows the use on the pc it was brought with,surely if that pc remains even after upgrade then the licence is still valid,no matter what part of the pc remains the licence should still be in effect,just my opinion anyway.

bremner 18:22 31 Dec 04

I agree - my own concern was with XP activation. I did not know to what extent (if any) MS would allow for hardware changes on an OEM version.

However virtually the only parts that are, as bought, are the screws holding the case together yet I have never had a problem activating XP online.

AragornUK 18:23 31 Dec 04

I'm sure I've read somewhere recently that Micro$oft now consider it to be a new machine (for OEM purposes) if the Motherboard is changed. In this age of "we'll sell it, but it doen't have to work" I think they've realised a little bit of leeway is required.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…