Windows Xp Home - Logon Failure

mjh65 11:38 11 Mar 05

I have a PC and a laptop, both running Windows XP Home updated to SP2 with all other MS Updates. They both run AVG Anti-virus and Zone Alarm Firewall. They are linked via an ADSL Modem Router. Now the problem: the Laptop can access files on the PC, but he PC cannot access files on the Laptop. When attempting the latter a message appears "Logon Failure: the user has not been granted the requested logon type at this computer". I cannot say when this situation came about, as I tend to move files to and fro the computer from the laptop and not vica versa, but when I first set them up they could both access each other.
Research so far suggests I have some sort of security setting problem, which could be easily resolved if I was running XP Pro, but no matter what I do the laptop will not let the PC in.
I have done all the obvious:
- turned off the firewalls and even Windows Firewall
- given both computers identical user names and passwords
- put them on the same workgroup
- I've even swapped all the network hardware and reset the router a couple of times

I am sure someone else must have had this problem and overcome it, I just hope it's someone who reads this!!

FelixTCat 12:29 11 Mar 05

Have you also given them both identical computer names? If so, change one of them - they can't both be called "mjh's computer" (or whatever).

Certainly sounds like a firewall problem - are you sure that you have disabled both the Windows firewall and the third-party firewall on the laptop?

With SP2, the Windows firewall has a habit of switching itself on when the other firewall is switched off.

spikeychris 14:48 11 Mar 05

You're right regarding XP Pro would be a lot eaier to fix.

Download and install the Windows
Server 2003 Resource Kit Tools click here
Once the install has finished, go to Programs Windows Resource Kit Tools Command Shell and Enter these commands, exactly

net user guest /active:yes

ntrights +r SeNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

ntrights -r SeDenyNetworkLogonRight -u Guest

Try again.

spikeychris 14:53 11 Mar 05

XP Home networking runs through the Guest account and it looks like something is stoping yours. [That is of course unless the Cat has got this one right]

Just to check, from a command prompt type "net user guest /active:yes"

mjh65 15:15 14 Mar 05

Instructions followed and BINGO! Can now see Laptop from PC.

Thanks for your help - obviously would not have got there without you. Seems a bit extreme to be applying Server tools to little old Windows XP Home, but you've obviously seen this before.

Thanks once again.

spikeychris 20:55 14 Mar 05

Glad you're sorted. If Bill would have just shoved a few extras into XP Home life would be a lot simpler.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…