Windows XP Home Login Problem

Nicco 21:27 15 Apr 03

When logging in, the desktop appears but no taskbar or icons. The taskbar isn't hidden, it's not there. Everything was okay yesterday. It did bring up a message when I first logged on today that something had been restored successfully but I didn't take much notice as it only had an okay button. I haven't done any form of restore. The problem is the same for all user logins. In non administrator user logins I also get an 'Advanced INF Install' pop up window which states 'INF install failure Reason: Access denied' (I've no idea what an INF install is). The only program I can access directly is Task Manager, although I can bring up a command prompt from here from where I can run programs. Any help v.much appreciated.

Gerrycan 21:35 15 Apr 03

Did you try to undo the restore,you can do it in safe mode

Nicco 21:43 15 Apr 03

How do I start up XP in safe mode?

Mankster 21:45 15 Apr 03

reboot with the "Ctrl" kept pressed down and select safe mode

Gerrycan 21:47 15 Apr 03

Yes as Mankster says

Nicco 22:34 15 Apr 03

Actually needed to press F8 to get into Safe Mode.
Tried running restore %systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe from the command prompt - first attempt nothing visible happened, second attempt I got a blank 'System Restore' window, and that was it - no menus, no instructions just a blank window. Any suggestions?

VoG™ 22:36 15 Apr 03

Do you have a Windows XP disk or just a restore disk?

User-312386 22:39 15 Apr 03

Hi there

You say you can get into safe mode?

If you can double click My Computer Icon

Now right click the Hard Drive that windows is installed on, select properties then the tools tab

Now tick both the boxes that say "Automatically Fix file system errors" and "scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors"

madboy33

User-312386 22:40 15 Apr 03

Now restart your computer

User-312386 22:41 15 Apr 03

Now restart your computer

AndySD 23:00 15 Apr 03

If that doent work then go to the safe mode options and choose Enable Boot Logging: This option enables logging when the computer is started with any of the Safe Boot options except Last Known Good Configuration. The Boot Logging text is recorded in the Ntbtlog.txt file in the %SystemRoot% folder. Then choose Normal.

Boot into safemode after it stops and read the Ntbtlog it will show you where the boot stopped.

post the final fail/message here.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This is the future of TV, VR and holograms

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…