Windows XP Home Hangs at Logo screen

JCElm 20:58 09 Sep 05

My PC hangs at the Windows logo screen, the blue dots keep moving but thats all. I have tried starting in Safe and the other modes but it hangs in all of them after a few seconds.
I tried using my XP disc but that hangs at the "starting windows" line.
I have removed all the none essential cards and have only the graphics card is in the slots.
Any suggestions would much appreciated.

GaT7 21:40 09 Sep 05

Try click here & click here.

A (temporary) workaround, to switch to Classic logon, may help too click here. G

woodchip 21:52 09 Sep 05

Is the CPU fan working as this very much sounds like the CPU is overheating

Diodorus Siculus 22:11 09 Sep 05

If not what Crossbow7 suggests, try a repair: click here
How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install

JCElm 23:07 09 Sep 05

I looked at and tried some of you're suggestions, but without success it hangs at the black logo screen before it gets to the welcome screen. When I start with the XP disc in the CD drive I do not get a choice. I click any key to start from CD it do's a system check, loads drivers (I think thats what its doing)then hangs at "setup is starting Windows"blue screen.

JC

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 23:21 09 Sep 05

hangs at "setup is starting Windows"blue screen.

It will stick here for a short while how long have you waited?

JCElm 23:48 09 Sep 05

45mins

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 09:37 10 Sep 05

OK 45 mins far too long :0)

I would suspect a driver problem with a hang at this point but if you get stuck on safe mode and setup then maybe a memory problem.

Try boot ing with one stick of memory and swap round if doesn't work first time.

JCElm 18:50 13 Sep 05

Thanks everybody for you're help.
I tried all the suggestions with no joy, so changed the hard-drive and still no joy, when I changed the drive back i forgot to plug in the ribbon cable for the cd and dvd drives and Hooray much joy it works. But when I plugged in the ribbon in it would not start again, trying each drive in turn I found its the cd drive thats the problem.
Thanks again everybody.

JC

woodchip 21:34 13 Sep 05

Jumper may be set wrong fo the drive

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…