Windows XP Home Freezes

Sometimes in the past my system froze at random times - control/alt/del did not even bring a response. If I left the machine running it eventually came to life again. However recently it has not recovered and remains frozen. The system works happily in "Safe Mode". I have tried to roll back using "System Resore", but I have never had any success in completeing the process- it tells me it can't do it. When I reboot the start-up gets as far as the Windows screen with the travelling blue cursor. The cursor makes four or five passes and then locks permanently.

Another problem - which might be related - is that the soundcard is totally disabled. I have intalled a new soundcard, but it does not seem to be recognised and no audio facilities are available.

Does anyone have any ideas.

Jak_1 12:51 26 Feb 05

Have you tried re-installing the os? Having backed up any data files first.

Yes I reinstalled XP (as a repair, not a full reinstall). It seemed to help for a while, except that it was after the repair the I lost all access to the audio capabilities of the existing audio card. I then installed a new card, but I have not been able to get it to function in any way.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How VR is being used to simulate space

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now