Windows XP Home - fax problems

CLF1 16:05 16 Oct 03

I have set up the fax on XP Home & had some problems:

1) I got someone to send me a test fax, which worked fine, but when I needed to receive a proper fax, it would only receive 3 pages, not the full 7.

2) When I first installed the fax, every time the phone rang an option popped up on the taskbar allowing me to opt to receive the call as a fax by pressing 'OK'. This is ideal & worked at first, but for some reason the pop-up has disappeared.

The fax is also my telephone number. I use BT Broadband; the pc modem + broadband are plugged into my filter and I use cordless phones in my house. I also have BT's 1571 answerphone in use and use Norton Anti-Virus/Internet Security, so don't know if any of these could cause problems with the fax.

Any help gratefully received!

Claire :)
ps: I only need fax occasionally but it's for work so needs to work first time - any cheap(ish) reliable alternatives to XP's fax would also help - thx :)

Cesar 10:17 17 Oct 03

Microsoft fax utility is not very reliable, I have been using the following for years now and have never had any problems.click here

phil.smith 10:25 17 Oct 03

I used to use Ring Central on Win 98 but haven't transferred it to Win XP home - It used to work well.

pj123 10:42 17 Oct 03

Go to the Trinite website at click here and check out their Fax to Mail. I use this service, it costs £20 a year and all faxes go into your email inbox. No need to have the computer on to receive faxes. Doesn't work outbound though. You still need an analogue modem to send faxes from your PC. To do that I use Supervoice (which comes free on many modem install disks)

CLF1 11:14 17 Oct 03

phil.smith - I used Central Fax on W98 too, I wasn't aware that you could put it onto XP, I thought it just came on the W98 disk and that was it.

Can you put it on XP then? Not sure how, as my only W98 disk, courtesy of PC World, was a restore disk, which I don't want to slide into my new pc for obvious reasons!

Everyone else: thanks for the other recommendations - I'm browsing with interest now, and any more recommendations would be gratefully received.

Claire :)

phil.smith 14:14 17 Oct 03

Claire

You may well be right - I haven't tried - mine too was on the applications disc that came with the computer

Phil

Stuartli 14:38 17 Oct 03

If you go to Tiscali's website click here you'll find a free fax to e-mail service.

You are given a unique 0871 xxx xxx number and this is used to send you a fax - a small amount of the phone call is taken by Tiscali as its renumberation.

Just put the number supplied on your XP cover page and ensure that the number is used once or twice a month so it won't lapse. If you don't get a lot of faxes send a "test" fax to yourself occasionally.

I used to use FaxMe, which is the same arrangement, but this was discontinued a year or two back, so I was grateful for the Tiscali alternative as I only have dialup.

CLF1 12:15 22 Oct 03

Stuart Li - I like the sound of this Tiscali free service, but when I looked on the website I got the impression that you have to be signed up to Tiscali as an ISP - I already have one, BT Broadband, and am in contract with them anyway.

Am I right in thinking you have to subscribe to them as your ISP first?

I tried to register for the free fax service but it asked for my tiscali email details etc.. which obviously I don't have.

Thanks!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

New Google phones UK release date | Pixel XL price, new features, specifications: Pixel X and…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…