windows xp home edition wont start???

aceguy 13:24 16 Feb 04

my mate says that her pc was turned of at wall and since then wont boot into windows. when the pc is turned on it goes to a black screen where an opology is given because it cant boot up-it gives a choice of startups- normal startup - system restore/last known good configuration - safe mode - safe mode with networking - safe mode with command prompt. basically evryone of them does the same thing runs for ten seconds then the pc reboots back to the black screen. she has no recovery or backup disks only the windows xp disk anyone help?? i dont want to do a complete reinstall i would loose all data??? sum help would be great---cheers

spikeychris 13:34 16 Feb 04
  aceguy 17:58 16 Feb 04

is it possible to virus scan the pc without getting into windows--by say putting together a cd to scan the hard disk. i use avg.

spikeychris 18:04 16 Feb 04

Have you tried the repair installation?

aceguy 19:26 16 Feb 04

i get to the CMOS SETUP UTILITY but my mate cant remember the password for the computer!!! so i cant realy do nowt to help can i???

spikeychris 19:37 16 Feb 04

Are you saying there is a BIOS password and your mate don't know it?

aceguy 19:58 16 Feb 04

yep!! the screen lists lots of options but we cant get to em because it asks for a password.

Andy 999 20:01 16 Feb 04

to change the cmos password and reset it, just take the battery out fo the pc and leave it out for 15mins or so, then go into bios without a password

spikeychris 20:25 16 Feb 04

As Andy says just remove the battery and replace after half and hour.

The BIOS will reset to default and you will be able to set the boot option (which is what I presume your there for) to CD first.

Boot from the CD then follow the info from the link above.

aceguy 21:47 16 Feb 04

thats me reset the password--if i boot from the windows xp disk in the cd drive and cant fix the problem who do i get the pc to boot up from the hard disk again?? if i have there is a virus will this be a waste of time???

aceguy 23:41 16 Feb 04

thanks for all the help thats me got the pc working fine now. cheers!!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…