WIndows XP Home Edition Freezing

Airman5877 16:38 04 Jan 11

My computer freezes during loadup and will not load past the first blue screen (with the Windows Logo and wording Windows XP). I restored to a point which did not resolve a problem I had so I tried an earlier restore point. I have been able to get the computer into safe mode but again it would not load past the first blue screen (before the Welcome) - it just stops loading and freezes. In safe mode I tried the option `restore to the last known confirguration which worked` but again it would not load past the first blue screen. Any ideas how to get it into a position where I can try to restore to say, 31 December?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:55 04 Jan 11

Restore XP

Boot to the command prompt and type:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

Press Enter and follow the on-screen prompts to restore to an earlier date/time

spuds 17:26 04 Jan 11

I don't like to say this, but a couple of months back, I had a similar problem. In the end, after trying a few things, I gave up and did a reformat.

Have you done any recent clean-ups, or registry 'improvements'?.

Airman5877 20:53 04 Jan 11

Fruit Bat. Thank you. It`s 2100 here and a bit late to try your suggestion but I will do later tomorrow and will report back. Spuds - Yes, I have done CC Cleaner, Malwarebytes and Spybot checks. I thought I had originally fallen foul of Antivirus Action but I`m not sure that I did because I can find no trace of it. I had Microsoft Updates 1-8 after which I could not get on-line (IE could not display Webpage). I got an AVG Resident Shield Alert too. Hence, I tried to restore to 31 December which didnt get me back on line so I restored to 5 November and on restart everything froze. This is only a backup computer that is `my problem` but it is very annoying and I dont like problems which I cannot solve

Airman5877 16:49 05 Jan 11

I tried what you suggested but nothing has changed. I went into safe mode, command prompt and the list of System 32 scrolled down the screen then the screen went black with `safe mode` in each corner. That changed to the dark blue and light blue screen with Windows XP Logo. There it froze. I can move the curser around the screen but nothing else. I cannot get Start Menu up or anything else. I cannot reformat because it is an old computer and the CD Drive went months ago. Looks as if I am going to have to ditch it

GaT7 17:03 05 Jan 11

If you install your main computer's CD/DVD drive into the old PC you should be able to reformat & reinstall.

If you eventually end up ditching it, consider offering it on your local FreeCycle click here. It would be recommended to retain the hard drive or use a free program to wipe its contents permanently with Dban click here or Eraser click here before giving it away. G

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:05 05 Jan 11

Floppy drive?

6 XP boot disks to allow you to get to recovery console
click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Huawei P10 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

An overview: What leading creative agencies are doing to improve diversity

New iPad, iPhone SE & Red iPhone 7 on sale now