Windows XP Home edition

RobbieRoberts 16:01 30 Jul 04

Hi Everyone,
I have finally upgraded(?) to XP from '98 but am having problems with it!
I am the proud possessor of a new computer [which to date I have not managed to connect to the 'net] and have come accross the following snags with XP:-
1) How does one disable the XP CD burning programme - Nero Express is installed but XP will insist in butting in, unless I start Nero before inserting a disc.
2) I have over 100 750k floppies and XPdoesn't recognise these - it also refuses to format 1.4Mb floppies that have been used under '98.
3) I have an Olympus Film Scanner, which does not seem to want to work with XP [Olympus cannot help, or so they say!].
I hope someone out there can help!
Many thanks,

BurrWalnut 16:19 30 Jul 04

You need to change 2 registry keys to stop WinXP interfering :-

Create a new DWORD for each (or Modify if it exists) named NoCDBurning and set it to 1 to disable Windows burning.

To format a floppy, right click the diskette in My Computer and you can specify capacities and the like.

woodchip 16:27 30 Jul 04

Control Panel\Administrator\Services. Right click\Properties on the writing software choose Manual not automatic

flyingpeterpan 18:53 30 Jul 04

Do it as the above two posts suggest, but you can also try to go to My Computer, right click the CD drive icon and then properties/recording,
uncheck the box which says "enable recording on this drive".

2)Do you need to install any application to read those floppy, or were they locked so you couldn't format them?

3)If the scanner people said they couldn't help, that means there is no XP driver for it, you can install a dual boot system i.e. WIN98/XP to get round it or it is time to get a new scanner.

TommyRed 19:12 30 Jul 04

This is the solution I used to disable XP burning software in favour of Nero "Go to "administrative tools" in the control panel, and in the "services" list, disable the IMAPI CD-Burning COM service. (Note: manual
setting is not enough it must be disabled) It is the built-in CD-burning capability for windowsXP (incidentally, written by Roxio). If you are using Nero, you don't need this anyway. Once it is disabled, Nero will start up much quicker." HTH TR

Which film scanner is it? You might find drivers here. click here
You could also try Win2000 drivers - you have nothing to loose.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…