//some 3rd party need geo

WINDOWS XP HOME DISC SHATTERED !

HELP , WINDOWS XP HOME DISC SHATTERED IN CD PLAYER , HOW CAN I GET A REPLACEMENT , IT,S AN OEM DISC SUPPLIED WITH PC , AND I CAN,T GET HOLD OF THE COMPANY THAT BUILT IT , IT,S NOT A WELL KNOWN COMPANY ???

€dstowe 10:41 30 Jun 04

Contact Microsoft. Explain what has happened. They will ask for the shattered pieces back for examination and, if they agree with you as to the circumstances, they will send you a replacement disc.

If you are trying to deceive them (I'm not saying ou are), they won't be happy.

N.B Please don't post in upper case lettering. It is considered shouting and it makes things difficult to read.

€d

Diodorus Siculus 10:41 30 Jun 04

You could be out of luck if you cannot get in touch with the supplier. Getting a friend's copy of the CD and using your own productkey may be a solution, although I don't know about the legality of this move.

Diodorus Siculus 10:43 30 Jun 04

€dstowe - will they do that for OEM disks?

€dstowe 10:58 30 Jun 04

I think they will as it implies a substandard product has been supplied by them. Anyway, worth a try.

I have to say, though, that disc shattering in a CD ROM is extremely rare and only occurs at very high rotational speeds AND with faulty discs. I cannot see why a WXP disc would be moving at such a high speed.

Diodorus Siculus 11:14 30 Jun 04

€dstowe - thanks; that is worth knowing.

Agent Smith 12:20 30 Jun 04

I damaged a Win 98SE disc and phoned MS who were happy to send me a replacement for £15 once I had proved the legality of the disc. However it was a retail disc and not OEM.

ventanas 12:27 30 Jun 04

I would be very wary of putting any other disc in this drive. Shattering usually indicates a serious problem with the laser. There have been threads about this in the past. I think it was MichelleC who had this problem some time ago.

Stuartli 13:38 30 Jun 04

You don't need an exceptionally fast CD-ROM drive in combination with a damaged or faulty disk to suffer shattering.

There have been numerous tests oncudcted in recent years, but these links may be of interest:

click here

click here

click here

click here

click here

Stuartli 13:44 30 Jun 04

Disk shattering in a CD-ROM drive is caused by a damaged disk being overstressed by high centrifugal forces; it has nothing to do with the laser.

€dstowe 14:00 30 Jun 04

???

The links you gave refer in the main to the problem occurring in high speed drives with faulty (cracked) discs - which is what I suggested.

It is not general advice (yet) to examine discs for cracks before use.

I still think that if NMAC234's claim is genuine, it will be looked at sympathetically by MS.

Microsoft, whatever people may think about then, are very jealous of their reputation and strive to maintain a good image with the computer buyer and user. If there is a genuine complaint, I'm sure they do their best to obtain a satisfactory outcome.

What does concern me, and this implies nothing underhand on the part of NMAC234, that the disc may not be a genuine Windows disc but a copy made on a cheap writable disc from a corporate edition of the O/S or a straight pirate version. Note the statement in the initial post: "I CAN,T GET HOLD OF THE COMPANY THAT BUILT IT , IT,S NOT A WELL KNOWN COMPANY"

€d

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Google Allo? What is Google Duo? Google Allo UK release date rumours and features: Google…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These clever designs help visualise a complex intelligence tool

iOS 10 troubleshooting tips: Simple fixes for the most common iOS 10 problems, from network…