Windows xp home critical updates

ray27 09:48 06 Jun 03

As I have had my share of problems with my new system and it appears to be functioning correctly at the present and I don’t want to upset the thing.
I can’t afford broadband and only have dial up access and it takes forever to download anything.
Can anyone give me advice on what Windows XP Home critical updates should I download?
Some appear to refer to networks and stuff I don’t use should I download the lot?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, as usual

MartinT-B 10:03 06 Jun 03

I can't advise you what you should, and shouldn't download.

If it's critical is advisable to get it 99% of the time.

You say you're not on a network.

What is the internet if not a network?!

Set it up last thing at night and let it download whilst you sleep. Then check in the morning.

You should be able to tell your PC to auto disconnect once downloads are complete

Granger 10:17 06 Jun 03

I've often wondered how critical some of these critical updates are if you have something like Norton Internet Security. Most of them seem to be about security anyway.

ray27 10:26 06 Jun 03

I did try downloading and leaving it to get on with it but my ISP NTL cut you of after about 15 mins of inactivity and I came back and found the that it had disconected.

I did try Download Accelerator Plus but wasn't to sure how it opperated .
I thought the network bit refered to something like an office system with more than on computer.

The Spires 10:31 06 Jun 03

Have you installed SP1, there are around 24 Meg of critical updates after SP1, if you do them in stages it will only take 3 evenings or so.

The Spires 10:37 06 Jun 03

I meant to add on but clicked Post for some reason... Windows Update seems to work better with 'Pop-Up Stoppers' off, and I have found after 10pm or early in the morning is the best time here to download them. I would encourage you to download them, but do a couple at a time then restart your Pc.

Djohn 10:38 06 Jun 03

I can't advise on the updates, but as to the "Inactivity", Most ISP's will disconnect after 10 or 15 minutes.

When you are downloading, your connection is active and should not be dropped. Again though, most ISP's will disconnect after two hours, the best thing to do is to sort your downloads into packets of approx. 1 hour 45 minutes each, doing it over a period of several evenings. j.

ray27 11:04 06 Jun 03

Thanks for all the advice I will try what you sugest Djhon
just one thing, if it does disconect for some reason during the download does it do any harm?

and how do you get the popup stoppers off ?

Djohn 11:15 06 Jun 03

To the best of my knowledge it will do no harm at all. If the download is incomplete, then it will not have altered any settings.

The download of a program needs to be complete before it installs, either by itself or by a re-boot. j.

Big Elf 12:33 06 Jun 03

I've got all the critical updates for XP home stored on my hard disk and normally would be happy to burn them to CD and post on to you. But before I do that can anyone tell me whether this would breach the MS licensing agreement?

I got SP1 on CD from MS by requesting it from the support site but you have to set-up a passport to do it online and I can't find out now where I ordered it. You may be able to order it by emailing [email protected]

ray27 14:34 06 Jun 03

Yup SEEKIT its looking good now
I can now see what I have been missing.

Thanks for the offer Big Elf but I have downloaded all the critical updates but one and have not come up against any problems

Thanks also to Djohn for the advice
Thanks also to everyone else

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…