Windows XP Home Boot Info. Message

Michael-333771 17:15 07 Feb 04

At completion of every fresh boot when all Start Menu and Background items are loaded I get the following message:-

WINDOWS-REGISTRY RECOVERY
One of the files containing the system's Registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternative copy. The recovery was succesful.

Click OK or cancel this message and everything works normally. I would have thought that once the file had been recovered it would stay recovered? Why do I get this message every time, and how can turn it off? Can anyone help with this annoyance please?

spikeychris 18:29 07 Feb 04

This is one of the problems of "self fixing" Windows XP will fix itself at boot-up because it cant do it whilst its using the files. You could download one of the third party tools that will have a bash or you could use the recovery console.

The Recovery Console can use the Repair folder in C: that contains a copy of the system's registry hives that were created after the first successful startup of Windows XP. Thats where it will get the files it needs so boot to the recovery console and type this...

Go to Recovery Console and type:

cd system32\config

ren system system.old

ren system.alt systemalt.old

copy c:\windows\repair\system

copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system
exit

Hit enter after each line.

If you would rather, you can contact M$ for a fix to disable the auto fix. click here then you will be able to see whats happening

As said you could use system mechanic or any of the third part tools to try and troubleshoot the problem.

Chris

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…