Windows XP Home

Bill 17:44 12 Jul 03

Upgraded to XP about tree months ago, and today, I decided in my infinite (or misplaced) wisdom, to stop the pop-ups that kept asking if I wished to allow various programmes to access the Internet.Even my CD drive and Floppy drive refuse to let me in, or I would have re-installed XP.

I used Fresh devices to add several progs. to the automatically allowed entry, and then found that I can only get onto the Internet, possibly because I am on Broadband.

All my files are blocked, and a Pop-up appears that reads " This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions in effect on this computer. Please contact your system administrator".

I have left my machine open to all, and am the sole administrator.

Has anyone come up against this problem, and if so how did you resolve it.

Bill

bremner 17:48 12 Jul 03

Your problems may to be to do with a Firewall, that would be the program creating the pop ups. What firewall do you have and what did you do to stop the pop ups?

the lone cloner 20:32 12 Jul 03

have you tried system restore,also xp can give problems with your soft ware installations if there is only 1 admin account ,iv'e found there is less trouble if all accounts are made admin. hope this is of some help.

Bill 06:52 13 Jul 03

Many thanks to bremner & the lone cloner.

I have now found that the problem is, the computer has decided to lock itself up, and tell me that I need a password. This is strange, because I have not set a password as I left it open to any user and have never had any problems so far. I now seem to have a somewhat difficult task, as I cannot get into the register to find out the password that has been dropped upon me.

Bill

-pops- 07:09 13 Jul 03

You should be able to access your CD drive before Windows loads so, if you're happy to reinstall Windows, place the Windows XP CD in the drive and reboot your machine. You will be given several options.

If you are unable to access the drive, with the computer OFF, insert a straightened paper clip into the tiny hole at the front of the drive. This should release the tray which you should then be able to slide out.

Bill 17:33 13 Jul 03

pops, you're a star, your suggestion worked like a dream, and I am now once again, in full swing.

My grateful thanks,

Bill.

-pops- 14:14 14 Jul 03

And another satisfied customer!!!

Glad it worked for you

Brian

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…