Windows XP home

chriscross72 15:39 15 Oct 05

My newly bought pc pc only came with a restore disc....is this the equivalent to a copy of windows XP home ?
Am I actually entitled to a copy of the genuine XP disc asit is preinstalled on the machine
It was purchased from 'Staples'
Should I contact them to obtain a proper copy of XP home or do i not need one ?
what happens if i need to format the hard drive and reinstallwindows....there is a sticker on the back of the tower with the 16 digit code

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 15:49 15 Oct 05

Count yourself lucky that you got a restore disc Alot of manufactures save money by not issuing any discs at all.

Are you entitled to a full disc? That ones is open for discussion.

What you have is a preinstall OEM version of XP home and a license to use it (sticker.)

OEM versions die with the machine and are not transferable, the manufacturer considers the HDD as the maachine which therefre makes your life harder if the HDD dies and everthing else is ok.

DO NOT alter any partion sizes or fromat the HDD as this will render the recovery useless as well.

The best option is to make an inmage of the HDD using Acronis or simular.

BurrWalnut 15:52 15 Oct 05

Are you sure it's a 16 digit code, it should be 25.

However, you could try making a Win CD from a recovery one. I haven’t tried it but have a look here click here

chriscross72 16:18 15 Oct 05

sorry yes it is 25 digits.....my mistake : ((

plsndrs3 16:40 15 Oct 05

Many manufacturers supply a Restore facility via a partition [usually hidden] and a floppy to run it. This will revert the system back to 'as purchased' condition with all installed software.

I had the same discussion a few years ago about a the supply of a stand-alone WINXP disc. It was pointed out to me that I purchased a computer that had Windows pre-installed. The company [Packard Bell] advised that they provide a means to restore the system so there is no need to buy a seperate CD as all the information is supplied on the Restore partition. If I wanted to upgrade to a larger disck or had a serious hard disk problem they would consider selling me a relevant CD - at a cost, of course, but cheaper than buying the program from say PC World.

Please take heed of the advice from Fruit Bat /\0/\. DO NOT, under any circumstances, delete the partition or even add/remove to it. Many recovery discs look for a partition of a set letter and size to run the restore progrem. Something as simple as removing an ISP program from that partition will reduce the size & the restore disc will not 'find' it.

Unfortunately, to the best of my knowledge, you cannot fun the restore facilty without the disc, and cannot run the facility without the correct partition & size being found.

HTH

Paul

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…