Windows XP Home

Rob6 17:49 09 Aug 04

I have Windows 98SE running on my PC and wish to upgrade to XP.
What is the difference between XP Home Full, Upgrade and OEM? all of which I have seen advertised.... apart from up to £110!

johnsims 17:55 09 Aug 04

Full is as it says. The whole shooting match able to be installed on a PC with no previous windows OS. Can be moved to any PC you own as long as it's only on one machine at a time.

Upgrade version requires a proscribed earlier version of windows to install - probably 98, ME, 2000 or NT

OEM is a version that in theory can only be purchased with a piece of hardware such as a new pc or a new hard drive. Often only has a recovery CD, especially when purchased with a new PC. Again, in theory, it should only be used with that specific hardware as that is what the OEM licences specifies.

Full version keeps your long term options more open. But it is a bit on the dear side!

LastChip 18:02 09 Aug 04

click here for the differences.

Windows 98(se) qualifys as an upgrade.

OEM is normally supplied with new machines and the licence is not transferable.

Be aware, that if your system is below about a 1GB processor and less than 256MB of memory, you will see a reduction in speed.

Microsofts minimum requirements, are just that. Whether you find the system is an acceptable speed, depends on your perception.

Rob6 18:13 09 Aug 04

OK I'm nearly there, just a little clarification.
The upgrade looks like my prefered route but is that transferable to a new hard disc in the future?

How do microsoft know that you have a licenced copy of Win98se already running... will I need the 25 digit code? (hey I have that!) will I need the original win98se cd-rom? (hey I have a backup copy of that, but not the original)

woodchip 18:24 09 Aug 04

And If I was You, steer clear of XP unless you have a specific need to upgrade. I have a Win98se Desktop a WinXP Desktop home and a WinXP home laptop. 98 for me every time its only benefit for what I think is that you can use USB2 if you have the hardware

Rayuk 18:25 09 Aug 04

When you use the upgrade version it will ask you to put your Win98 cd in to check you have a genuine disk.

I have an oem version of WinXP Home and when recently upgrading my system I inadvertenly installed the copy that I had used on my old setup[I changed the Motherboard/cpu/graphics card and hard drive]yet it activated without any problems.Only realised when I found the new package still sealed.

I had bought another copy to go with my upgrade which is now installed on a pc made up with various bits I had lying about the place.

woodchip 18:29 09 Aug 04

If you put XP on your computer some Hardware and software may not work.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…