WINDOWS XP HELP AND SUPPORT WON'T RUN

When I try to run Windows XP's help and support, I get a message that starts 'Can't find Helpctr.exe'. But when I check, the file is there, in the right place (Windows\PCHealth\Helpctr\Binaries). Loading XP Service Pack 2 (which I believe replaced the original file with a newer version) made no difference. Grateful for any suggestions.

Graham ® 14:37 10 Oct 04

First thing to try, Start, Run, type 'sfc /scannow', Enter.This will check for corrupt files.

Diodorus Siculus 14:39 10 Oct 04

One option may be the system file checker

start

run

sfc /scannow

Otherwise, click here

sfc/scannow won't run ('Windows can't find sfc/scannow...') and the registry fix won't work either. Arrgggh! Any more suggestions gratefully received.

VoG II 18:17 10 Oct 04

space before the /

sfc /scannow

mbp 18:24 10 Oct 04

Unless you have a paid for Full Version of Windows XP Home or Pro- you will not receive full support from Microsoft web sight. This is the disadvantage of having a cheaper OEM version of the Operating System. With an OEM version you have to go back to the original equipment manufacturer(OEM)to resolve your problems or for any web support. Not sure if this comment applies in your case.

I'm still having no luck. I ran sfc /scannow OK, but it made no difference. I am all up to date with a virus checker, Spybot, AdAware, Pest Patrol, Zone Alarm. I tried the registry fix. But even a desktop shortcut to the file won't work. Something happens when I double click - there is a second or two's worth of processing, but then nothing. I'd still be grateful for more ideas.

Graham ® 10:05 12 Oct 04

to repair XP.

click here

hillybilly 11:41 12 Oct 04

Try clicking Start-> Run, type in

helpctr -regserver

Hit Return

If that don't work then try

Start-> Run type in

Cmd

Hit Return

Now type

regsvr32 /uhhctrl.ocx

Hit return

THE TERMINATOR 20:25 09 Nov 04

START>RUN>type control folders click on the view tab and enable SHOW HIDDEN FILES AND FOLDERS and uncheck HIDE FILE EXTENSIONS goto C:\WINDOWS\INF\ and right click the file pchealth.INF and choose install....TT

CurlyWhirly 20:39 09 Nov 04

Is 'Help & Support' enabled in ADMINISTRATIVE TOOLS > SERVICES?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…