Windows XP help

allclear 21:38 01 Jan 05

Hello,

I seem to have the following problems with my XP PC, and I'd be very grateful if you could help.

1. At startup, there is always a Desktop Search bar that pops up in the bottom right-hand corner. I have found the location of this in the folder C:\WINDOWS\isrvs. Whenever I try to delete the folder, or any of its contents, it says "Access is denied." Is there anyway around stopping this problem? I also seem to be having a lot of trouble with popups also, and any additional help to stop this problem would also be appreciated.

2. Another problem is that whenever I click on a link from an email in Outlook Express, Outlook Express freezes, and consequently has to be shut down. However, when I copy this link and paste it into the browser, it seems to work fine. Can anyone help with this please?

3. Sometimes, when I try to shut down the PC, it takes long for the PC to actually switch off. Usually, it gets to the "Windows is shutting down..." message, and after this, takes a long time (up to 20 minutes) for the PC to turn off. Can anyone help?

Thank you,

Allclear

LeadingMNMs 21:41 01 Jan 05

Download and do a full system scan with Ad-aware click here Also check whats running at startup by typing "msconfig" in using Run, and go to 'Startup' Remove anything that you don't want running at startup. If your not sure what something is, find out before you uncheck it.

mattyc_92 21:46 01 Jan 05

1.... I haven't got this folder on my system, so try booting into "safe mode" and delete the directory (folder) from there

2...This problem happens to many "Outlook Express" users, but mine seems OK, so I don't think I can help there (try searhing for help on the microsoft website click here)

3....Try a full system scan using an antivirus program and a program such as "ad-aware" and try a "defrag" and "scandisk" scan to see if that helps

As for the pop-ups, if you have SP2 installed the pop-ups will be stoped or use a program such as "Pop-Up Stopper Professional"

allclear 21:52 01 Jan 05

Thanks for all your responses. I've tried MSConfig and running Adaware to no avail. I'm gonna try the safemode idea in a second and see if it works.

gudgulf 23:22 01 Jan 05

click here

It seems that Adaware should deal with this...make sure you are fully up to date.Also try A2 click here

It is also worth giving the link to Isearch from the first link above a try..their own uninstaller,followed by a full Adaware scan might do the trick.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant