Windows XP has crashed, will this work?

johnbhoy 13:10 12 Sep 03

Guys, My Windows XP operating system crashed last night, when I first booted the system, it said it had found new hardware and was going to install drivers, eventually said it could not find correct driver and the device (shown as other device in hardware setup) had a yellow exclamation mark through it, I removed it has I had not added any new hardware and rebooted, since then Windows XP boots until login screen, after login, desktop wallpaper comes up but nothing else.
No new hardware or software for that matter had been installed.

I can boot into safe mode and was wondering, if I restore the system to my last restore point (2 days ago I think), do you think this will cure the problem, obviously I have a backup of all needed material, but would hate to have to re-install everything again.

Any advice much appreciated.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

-pops- 13:14 12 Sep 03

System Restore claims it it entirely reversible (never tried that though) so you shouldn't have anything to lose and most likely much to gain.

rotate 13:43 12 Sep 03

You should be able to re-store without problem. You could then go to click here 'Support Knowledge Base' and do a search on there for the type of problem you had. I think you will find many with the same problem. Microsoft give you a solution on the same site.

johnbhoy 09:07 15 Sep 03

Stsyem restore worked in that I could load Windows XP, but it ran very slow, ended up doing a format and installing OS again, during which my hard file had a few bad sectors which are now sorted.

Cheers

JohnBhoy

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…