Windows XP hangs on Welcome screen

montyburns 11:17 25 Oct 03

We have two profiles set up on XP.

Boots as normal to Welcome Screen, but then about 70% of the time, if you click on a name, it just "hangs" saying "Windows is loading your preferences"

The only way out is to switch off power (Ouch! BAD I know) and try again, and again, and again....

Can't even find a way to get it to boot in Safe Mode (F5 or F8 on older Windows)

What's going on?!

HELP!!

christmascracker 11:27 25 Oct 03

Have you tried a system restore back to when everything was ok?

graham√ 11:52 25 Oct 03

Check in Add/Remove programs for Windows update Q811493. Uninstalling that cured a similar problem.

montyburns 12:38 25 Oct 03

I've tried a few System Restores and it's not helping. In fact the problem started during a Restore, which crashed the PC and on re-boot, the thing hung and has been exhibiting this (potential) problem since.

Also, my system doesn't have Windows update Q811493 to remove :-(

Sometimes I can log on to the other profile easier than mine. If I then try to "Log on as different user" while the first profile is up and running, the PC simply crashes.

Forgot to say it's XP Home not Pro Edition

Thanks for suggestions

VoG II 12:43 25 Oct 03

click here may help

SheffieldSpy 13:05 25 Oct 03

Do you find it hangs on the startup after sending Windows XP into hibernation mode. Some computers seem to react badly to hibination.

montyburns 13:22 25 Oct 03

Thanks VoG, will try that next time I get the prob (printing off page now to keep handy!!!)

SheffieldSpy - yes, it did seem to be doing it more when setting hibernation etc profiles, but we switched all this off and it's still doing it (sporadically)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…