Windows XP hanging at start up

georgemac © 12:37 19 Apr 06

A friend was having problems with their up to date XP SP2 home PC, caused by malware

I cleaned it up with adaware, spybot was getting stopped by something, so I installed and ran windoes defender, which also cleaned up some spyware.

I also did a disk scan and allowed windows to fix errors on the hard disk at boot up, which it did.

Now it hangs during windows startup, ctrl alt del will bring up task manager but it shows nothing running.

It also hangs booting to safe mode which is where I had hoped to go to restore it back to an earlier point.

Any ideas? Can I reinstall XP on top of itself?

Is there anything in the recovery console that may help?

VoG II 12:40 19 Apr 06

Repair XP click here

Legolas 12:41 19 Apr 06

You can do a Repair install of windows XP click here as you cant access the computer you cant do a backup but hopefully everything should go ok.

Legolas 12:41 19 Apr 06

Beaten by a minute

georgemac © 12:56 19 Apr 06

thanks, I will try that and post back how it goes.

Would it be worth removing the hard drive and fitting it to my pc to give it a scan with all the antispyware & antivirus apps before I start?

georgemac © 08:02 27 Apr 06

I got the PC yesterday. While I was away, my mate had restored it to HP original condition which was XP SP1.

I put on SP2, and loaded all the latest windows updates. Working fine.

Removed Norton Antivirus 2003 as it was way out of date, loaded AVG free, updated this and rebooted.

At the login page, it tries to load, then just goes saving settings and stays at the login page.

Booted to safe mode, and started AVG and scanned the hard disc. A lot of funner.a virus found and healed by AVG, but when rebooted into safe mode now in the same loop at the login page.

Have booted from an XP home SP2 CD, (from my HP laptop) as my mates PC is an HP with original XP home license.

I have selected the repair option as shown in the guide, but it takes me staright to the recovery console. Does not give reinstall option.

Searched the web and found this

"Logon - Logoff loop, also caused by BlazeFind

Another critical symptom caused by this malware: This malware modifies the Userinit area in the registry (replacing the userinit.exe with wsaupdater.exe) and Ad-Aware (with a particular definition update) removes the wsaupdater.exe file from the system, thus causing the Logon - Logoff loop. That is, when you login to Windows, the 'loading personal settings" verbose will appear, but suddenly it will logoff. This issue was documented clearly by Lavasoftusa in it's Lavahelp Knowledgebase.

Here is the solution to the logon - logoff issue in Windows XP.

Enter the Recovery Console

Boot the system using the Windows XP CD-ROM. In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console. Type-in the built-in Administrator password to enter the Console. You'll see the prompt reading C:\Windows (Or any other drive-letter where you've installed XP)

Type the following command and press Enter.

CD SYSTEM32
(If that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32)

COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

Quit Recovery Console by typing EXIT and restart Windows."

Tried this but still the same loop at the loging page.

Real head scratcher this one. Don't want to wipe the hard drive and start afresh yet.

georgemac © 08:29 27 Apr 06

Ok, the repair guide misses out the fact that you have to press enter to install XP before you get to the menu with the repair option

repair is now ongoing, hopefully this will work and I'll manage to clean any malware/virus off the hard drive

georgemac © 12:50 27 Apr 06

looks like the repair worked OK, now have all windows updates installed, have scanned with AVG, spybot and adaware, cleaned some malware, windows defender now installed and scanning so hopefully all now OK.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…