Windows XP, Up-grade!

cybernorm 17:59 01 Feb 03

I am shortly upgrading my Pentium III computer so that I will have 2 HDD. 1 with 40Gb and 2 with 60/80Gb. Installing a graphics card, increasing memory to 512Mb. I am running OS Windows Me, will I be able to up-grade to Windows XP?

Rayuk 18:11 01 Feb 03

As long as you can get all xp drivers for your components and peripherals shouldnt be a problem.
What P3 cpu have you?

golfpro 18:15 01 Feb 03

Better get it completly sorted and then do a clean install. and not an upgrade. I had problems with ME to XP upgrade.

Qmar 20:36 01 Feb 03

posted this already- inclick here
-

about XP- read this: Do a spec check before attempting to install XP. Have you got the recommended 300MHz processor, 128Mb of ram and 1.5Gb free hard-disk space necessary for upgrading.? . Before you start, use the MS upgrade advisor to find out whether you'll have any compatibility problems if you upgrade to XP. This can be downloaded from the MS site. People with older peripherals and software might find that these no longer run after upgrading to XP. As long as your PC is online, you can register for automatic XP upgrades and patches from the MS site. I was told told that people can invalidate their warranties by installing a new operating system. So, if you're still within your warranty period, check that it will still be valid if you go ahead with upgrading to XP. Once you have XP, you'll also need to check that any new hardware and software you buy is compatible with it.

Philip2 20:48 01 Feb 03

Isn't 512MB getting a bit high for windows ME i thought 98 and ME start to lock up over 500MB???

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

iPhone 7 review: Enhanced cameras, a refreshed design and water resistance make the iPhone 7 an…