Windows XP from German to English

tunny 17:18 08 Dec 05

My son living in Germany has purchased a PC locally. His is soon due to return to the UK. At the moment, understandably his XP is in German can this be changed to English or does it mean buying XP again when he returns to the UK? Also as his power supply is a 2pin plug would he require a new power supply and will this affect his MB in any way?

PaulB2005 17:19 08 Dec 05

He has to buy XP again I'm afraid.

tunny 17:29 08 Dec 05

Oh dear, thanks for that swift reply. Would the UK upgrade version do or would it have to be the full works? Maybe he would be better waiting for Vista to hit the streets?

PaulB2005 17:31 08 Dec 05

Probably the full version but don't quote me on that.

Vista is not due until Autumn 2006 so i wouldn't bother waiting.

tunny 17:33 08 Dec 05

thanks for your help Paul, any info on power supply?

jz 17:34 08 Dec 05

"He has to buy XP again I'm afraid"

I'm not sure about that. I know someone who had an overseas version of XP. He loaded the UK version from a UK XP CD (ie a different CD which he borrowed from someone) but put the product key of the overseas version in. He phoned Microsoft to activate it, and there was no problem - it all worked fine.

jz 17:34 08 Dec 05

"He has to buy XP again I'm afraid"

I'm not sure about that. I know someone who had an overseas version of XP. He loaded the UK version from a UK XP CD (ie a different CD which he borrowed from someone) but put the product key of the overseas version in. He phoned Microsoft to activate it, and there was no problem - it all worked fine.

PaulB2005 17:34 08 Dec 05

Not sure. I suspect you can just change the "kettle lead" but DO NO quote me on that. What voltage is the PSU set too?

tunny 17:39 08 Dec 05

Paul Mmm this has opened up a minefield I'll not know that until I get him on Messenger later, but have noted your points and it probably raises a few more. My thanks to you.

tunny 17:41 08 Dec 05

jz thanks on your point its worth maybe ask microsoft in one of their helprooms, if I am able to find the right one. My thanks to you also.

DieSse 17:44 08 Dec 05

*Also as his power supply is a 2pin plug*

I wouldn't mind betting that it's really a 3 "pin" Schuko plug (standard across most of Europe) - which has two pins sticking out - and the earth connectors on the sides of the plug. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac