Windows xp full version

morghickman 21:26 28 Mar 06

I purchased a full version of w/xp home ed.
Can i install this on my other computer.
Or do i have to buy another.
Ps what does the oem version stand for.

woodchip 21:29 28 Mar 06

OEM that it should only be sold from vendor with a new computer

woodchip 21:31 28 Mar 06

PS you will not be able to load on other computer for about 3 months or MS will know

Skills 21:31 28 Mar 06

The OEM stands for original equipment manufacturer, you can only install a copy of xp on one machine and the OEM license means that that copy of windows is locked to that machine, you also get no support from microsoft with oem versions.

If you get a full retail version of XP then it can be install on any machine but only one at a time

woodchip 21:35 28 Mar 06

locked to that machine, Only if it's pre-loaded. If he as a OEM disc it will load on any computer.

Bomberboy1943 21:36 28 Mar 06

in the Book you get with the discon page 5 it tells you
To Help reduce software piracy Windows XP uses the product activation system which allows you to install one only one computer

However if you are upgrading from 98 or 98SE then you should be ok

Skills 21:53 28 Mar 06

As far as MS is concerned an OEM disk is for one machine only when that machine dies that copy of windows is ment to die with it in practice thats not how it happens but thats what the license is for "one machine"

Mr Beeline 23:07 28 Mar 06

Hi

skills is basically correct. Though as he points out, the issue of WPA (Windows product Activation) is a much debated issue (see numerous threads on this forum). For a fuller description of WPA see click here

woodchip 23:10 28 Mar 06

How they going to prove it? as Data Protection stops them keeping records over a certain length of time

Skills 01:01 29 Mar 06

I know what your saying woodchip and it is a stupid situation but trust MS to bring in a complicated licensing scheme that just over complicates everything.

In the license terms of OEM it is ment to a one machine only copy but as I said in practice its not how it happens.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5