windows xp freezing on Welcome screen

User-1642292 10:12 26 Dec 10

Loaded the AVG full program from issue 187 PC Adisor disk, and on booting up it doesn't now get past the Welcome screen.
Cursor still moves, and have got past the Windows XP starting up.
I've cleane up for any dust and followed the static discharge suggested elsewhere on the forum, with the sam result on the boot.
Windows XP was per-installed on the machine and i have no disk to re-install.
All files are backed up to an external hard drive, so is it time to throw away and move onto Windows 7? Or has anyone got a great idea?
Merry Christmas!!

onthelimit 10:15 26 Dec 10

Try System Restore to before you loaded AVG.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 10:25 26 Dec 10

To do that you will need to try and boot into safemode.

Tap F8 (F5) as it starts and select safemode or last Known good configuration from the menu

User-1642292 11:03 26 Dec 10

Thanks for the tips - even F8 and F5 can't seem to get me to safe mode, and i am back where i was.
Is there any other way to jump out of the standard booting up screens?

onthelimit 11:10 26 Dec 10

If you power off, then back on, do you not get a 'windows failed .' etc message with an option to start in safe mode?

User-1642292 11:35 26 Dec 10

Unfortunately not - it starts the boot absolutely normally, and the cursor even moves over the Welcome screen, but that is as far as it gets.
Space bar, F5, F8 and even ctrl/alt/delete wont budge it from there.
i even left it running and went out for the evening - it was the same when i got back.
????

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 11:44 26 Dec 10

Are you tapping F5 / F8 as it FIRST boots not at the welcome screen or XP bars screen?

User-1642292 12:11 26 Dec 10

Yes - as soon as the first logo hits the screen which is about 1 second after the computer starts up!
I think i've done everything i have read about, and thanks for this, but it still rolls on and then stops at that Welcom screen.

David4637 13:50 26 Dec 10

Think about buying Acronis, its the bset restoritive you can use. In 10 mins my PC in a jam like yours would be working fully again.
Sorry - "I KNOW ITS AFTER THE HORSE HAS BOLTED"
David

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…