Windows XP Freezing at startup

NadineCoyleRocks 15:43 18 Mar 03

I recently built a PC for my brother and everything seemed to be working fine. He took it away with him to london and (dont laugh!)after using it just once he says that when he boots up the PC it freezes as the Windows XP icons appears and the scrolling blue bar moves at the start of XP booting up.

He can boot into Safe Mode without any problems and assures me the only thing he did with the PC was install a game (championship manager) which he has unistalled from safe mode to ensure this wasnt the problem. And the only other difference is he's using quite an old monitor but Im sure this would have nothing to do with it (esp because of where its freezing).

Any ideas at all?? Im limited to what I can do because any troubleshooting needs to be done over the phone..

cheapskate2k 18:00 18 Mar 03

Try using msconfig to stop it loading all startup programmes. But from what you say I cant work out what stage it gets up to before crashing! Mine was doing the same after I did an XP repair, after it booted up cleanly once it was ok. You can use msconfig in safe mode to do it. Just go to run and type in msconfig if you dont know but I doubt that as you did build it!

NeedtoKnow 20:18 18 Mar 03

Sounds like to me you'll need to re-install XP. Try doing that over the phone!!!

NadineCoyleRocks 08:01 19 Mar 03

thanks tried one of these XP restores and that solved the problem

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…