Windows xp freezes

Jomi 14:03 26 Dec 06

I'm using XP Pro SP2,
there doesn't seem to be any one factor that causes these freeze ups but it only seems to have started happening since I installed SP2.
All programs freeze and so does the mouse pointer, ctrl,alt,del doesn't work (during the freeze up) and I have to switch off at the mains socket in order to reboot - which can't be good for the pc.
I'm running windows firewall, windows defender, superantispyware and avast anti virus.
Can anyone help with this?

thank you.

John

system specs
Athlon 3200 (2.2ghz)32 bit version
XP pro SP2
1gb ddr pc3200
Radeon 9800.

provider 2 16:02 26 Dec 06

Check with TASK MANAGER to see which process is causing the freeze, then end task.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:20 26 Dec 06

FReeezing PC

1. Overheat due to faulty / blocked fans

2. PSU voltages

3. Household power surges fridge etc switching on/off

4. faulty memory stick try memtest click here

5. virus or spyware scan for both especially if shutting down with in a few minutes of switch on or internet use

6. driver conflicts especially grahics cards get the latest drivers for your equipment

Jomi 17:37 26 Dec 06

Took a while to get back, the pc froze while I was using the forum!!
provider 2 - I can't use the task manager, when windows freezes I can't use anything, I have to reboot.

Fruit Bat /\0/I haven't added anything so psu voltage should be ok.
I'll have a look inside tomorrow, give the fans a clean and reseat everything etc..
I got an anti surge extension for Christmas so I'll sort that tomorrow too.
I wasn't using a memory stick on any of these occasions when the pc froze.
Driver conflict could be a possibility, I just updated my radeon card with a December released driver, if all else fails I'll try rolling it back until the next release.

Thanks for the tips, I'll leave the post open for now - I'll check back tomorrow pm.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:54 26 Dec 06

"wasn't using a memory stick"

I mean your internal memory modules (Simm DiMM DDR( whatever you use.

Jomi 19:21 28 Dec 06

oh - sorry
I couldn't use memtest because I can't use dos, I think DDR DIMMS are ok because the post screen and ram optimiser are reporting it's presence.
When I cleaned up the pc I found a sticking case fan, which I replaced, I also cleaned everything up and reseated ram, cables, pci cards etc.
Touchwood I had no problems up to now.
I'll still leave the post open for a couple of days.

Jomi 12:51 03 Feb 07

In the end I had loads of problems with this, the pc started crashing and rebooting.
I took out a memory dimm and the problem vanished, however swapping the modules ie taking out the working one and replacing it with the (apparently) faulty one, everything still worked fine, so not the dimms then!!
I placed one of the dimms in an unused memory slot and everythin is back to normal, so, it looks like the problem lay with the motherboard dimm slot and not the modules.
Thanks as always for the help and advice.
John

FreeCell 15:16 03 Feb 07

I have read other enrties on the forum that indicate that some motherboards will only work with two sticks of mememory if they are in slots 1 and 3 but if you put three in 1, 2 and 3 it also works fine. Did you end up with using slots 1 and 3?

Jomi 19:03 04 Feb 07

No Frecell they're in 2and 3

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…