windows XP "freezes"

originalmiscellany 23:06 25 Dec 04

Installed Win XP streamlined SP2 on parents computer on 23rd Dec. Today I noticed that the desktop has sort of frozen twice today - in that I can click on icons etc, but nothing will happen - I can click on icons, but double clicking on them has just the same effect as single clicking on them. Also I can look at the start menu, but I can navigate no further... No error messages/BSOD etc.
The only way to reset this is to reboot the computer. Obviously it's a small problem but as my parents always phone me when things go wrong as I'm at home I was wondering if I could "nip it in the bud" as it were.
Any ideas please?

VoG II 23:09 25 Dec 04

Turn down graphics card acceleration.

thms 23:11 25 Dec 04

Try start/run/type sfc /scannow

Remember a space between c&/ you will need the xp disc though. This will re-install any files that have been changed.

originalmiscellany 09:18 26 Dec 04

will give both of these ideas a go, and if there are any other problems will report back.Cheers

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…