Windows XP forcing 8-bit colour depth

Newuser3310 00:07 16 Oct 03

I have a number of programs that I wrote myself, In Gupta SQl Windows, originally for a Windows 95 environment, which display .jpg files and for best results really need to be run in at least 16-bit colour. Under Windows 98 these applications continued to work perfectly. Under Windows XP, there is a problem, as for some reason Windows XP feels it has to run them in 8-bit colour mode, and so changes the colour depth on entry from my usual High Colour 16-bit setting, restoring it on exit. As a result the displayed .jpgs look awful. Although I can change the colour mode back manually to 16-bit while the programs are running, the programs continue to display in 8-bit colour. Note that it makes no different whether or not I use the Windows XP ‘compatibility options’ accessible by right-clicking on the executable. Would be most grateful for any ideas how to get round this.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…