Windows XP fonts won't work

CLONNEN 12:39 10 Mar 06

I sold someone a cdrom which contained over 2600 fonts - TrueType format.

She says she has Windows XP and that the first 9 fonts she tried would not install on her computer.

Is there a reason for this? I thought all TrueType fonts worked on all versions of Windows. Am I wrong?

rmcqua 12:46 10 Mar 06

They should certainly work with Windows XP. Are you sure she knows how to install them? (Just drag and drop into c:/windows/fonts)

pj123 12:53 10 Mar 06

I would have thought so too. But fonts don't need "installing" just copy them to the Fonts folder and they should become available.

I am running Win 98SE and I have a cd with 950 fonts on it. All I did was drag and drop them into the fonts folder. I also made a separate Fonts folder on another partition and copied them into there as well as a backup.

CLONNEN 12:54 10 Mar 06

The only thing I can think of is that maybe they aren't Truetype fonts - I think there were some other fonts in the FONTS folder on the cdrom - icons with Red A's I think. It's a bit difficult without having the disc contents in front of me.

I have asked her to get back to me with actual font names of the one's which don't work.

She says most of the fonts work okay but some won't work at all.

pj123 13:18 10 Mar 06

Fonts with Red As on them are System Fonts not Truetype. So the reason why they didn't seem to work is probably because they are already on the computer. So all that needs to be copied across are the fonts without the Red A icon.

CLONNEN 18:59 10 Mar 06

Have just located another cdrom the same as what I sold her - went into the FONTS folder on the disc and decided to start my investigations with the very first font listed AAR012.TTF otherwise known as Andrus (Truetype).

Went to the Windows/Fonts folder did File - Install New Font - selected the disc drive/fonts folder - selected the Andrus font at the top of the list which appeared and this error message pops up :

Unable to install the Andrus (TrueType) font. The font file may be damaged. Check with your font vendor about obtaining a new file.

According to Google this means info is missing from the file which is necessary in Windows 2000/XP - something about font family names and other stuff?

Any ideas on how to update the file so that it can work in Windows XP?

CLONNEN 19:13 10 Mar 06

Have just tried to force it into the folder manually - copied AAR012.TTF from disc and attempted to paste it into the Windows XP Fonts folder - an error popped up :

Unable to install the font. File "...\AAR012.TTF" is either invalid or damaged.

CLONNEN 11:40 16 Mar 06

Finally found a solution - used FontAgent to repair and optimize the TTF files and then opened and resaved them in FontLab (making sure to turn on the Autohint option). THEN the resulting TTF files could install into XP with no problems.

Had to do the FontAgent and FontLab stuff on Windows ME (wouldn't work in XP - FontAgent kept saying files were corrupt and it was unable to repair)

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

VFX Oscar nominees 2017: Discover how the visual effects were created

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…