Windows XP firewall

micknor56 10:21 22 Jun 06

How do I get my XP firewall to stay on in the control panel, instead of everytime I shut the computer down and reboot the following day to find that the firewall is off again.
Thanks

johndrew 10:45 22 Jun 06

Go to `Start>Control Panel>Windows Firewall` selct `On` and `OK`.

If you have another firewall running on your PC (Kerio for example) it will turn the Windows Firewall off on startup. If you have Windows Firewall on with another firewall and you `Restart` the PC you may wellget a message telling you that Windows Firewall has prevented the other firewall from starting.

spuds 11:20 22 Jun 06

Personally I would disable the Windows XP firewall, and use a free version of ZoneAlarm. Much better product at present.

But as previously stated, if you already have another firewall installed,so making two or more, then they will most likely disable the Windows firewall on start-up.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 12:01 22 Jun 06

Windows firewall is incomming only. All these are free and better.

Firewalls :-
Comodo Personal Firewall 2.0 click here
Filesclab click here
Jetico click here
Kerio4 click here
Netveda click here
Nrt firewall 2.0.1 click here
Outpost free click here
R-firewall click here
Securepoint click here
Softperfect click here
Sygate click here
Wyvernworks click here
ZoneAlarm click here

Zonealarm is propably the best.

rodriguez 12:12 22 Jun 06

I also use ZoneAlarm instead of Windows Firewall, I think most people do. Remember you only really need 1 firewall so with ZoneAlarm you can just forget about the Windows one without worrying about losing any security. If you have a router, then there will be a hardware one in there so you'll be nice and secure.

micknor56 12:25 22 Jun 06

Thanks everyone for that. I too use Zone alarms, along with XP Firewall, but still have "acquired" SpywareQuake which wasn't picked up by Zone Alarms

spuds 12:40 22 Jun 06

Information on Spyware Quake click here

Input Overload 13:09 22 Jun 06

SpywareQuake malware won't be stopped by a firewall unless it's a firewall with integral spyware detection. The only help you will get from a firewall regarding any malware is it may stop a trojan phoning home.

johnnyrocker 13:13 22 Jun 06

"acquired" SpywareQuake " obtain spyware blaster this should prevent any further probs.

johnny

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:38 22 Jun 06

A firewall on its own is not surfficent, you need Antivirus software and Anti spy/mal ware.

Anti Virus :- ONE ONLY
Antivir click here
Avast4 click here
AVG antivirus click here
Microworld click here

Anti Spyware :-
Adaware click here
Spybot S&D click here
Spywareblaster click here
Spycatcher express click here
a2 click here
Windows Defender click here
Ewido click here
Superantispyware click here
Hitman pro click here

I would recommend AVAST or AVG as antivirus
Spyware blaster as a blocker
Ewido or Defender as realtime / scanner defence
Adawre and or Spybot as backup scanners

ALL MUST BE KEPT UPTP DATE OR THEY ARE USELESS.

Spywarequake Removal
click here
click here

standing bull 13:58 22 Jun 06

hi there,rodriguez has said if you have a router you have an inbuilt firewall,ive just taken delivery of a bt voyager2091 and nowhere does it state there is a firewall,anyone help please

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…