Windows xp firewall

charlton200 18:40 28 Sep 04

I have just got windows xp with sp2 included . Is the windows firewall any good.
If its not any good is it easy to turn off so I can install zone alarm.

SANTOS7 19:12 28 Sep 04

If you want peace of mind then the added security features of Zonealarm are what you are looking for to turn off XPs firewall open security centre in control panel click windows firewall at bottom of page select turn off firewall click OK, good luck

GORAL 19:24 28 Sep 04

Always been sceptical about M/Soft's firewall and chose to use Norton's. However since installing S.P.2 on my O/S (Win XP Home) I had some problems with my wireless connections, so I have substituted the new Firewall from SP2 for Norton's.

Things seem ok.

I have run Symantec's Security checks and all settings are reported to be 'secure'.

spuds 19:25 28 Sep 04

A little info on XP firewall and others click here

User-312386 19:36 28 Sep 04

turn off XPSP2 firewall

To be honest it says it controls programmes going out, but it does not.

PCA November 2004 edition and on page 97 it states Under "What SP2 Doesn't fix"

"Does not restrict installed programmes on your PC connecting to the internet"

So get a firewall like ZA or sygate

charlton200 20:58 28 Sep 04

I have just tested it on symtech (Norton) security site and it only passed one of there test.

Thanks for your help.

charlton200 13:16 30 Sep 04

If I decide to put my own firewall on,I will have to turn off windows xp firewall.

As I have sp2 installed on my computer from new, and reading a previous post I am left wondering if there is a separate turn off for the firewall on sp2, or is it stll the same one as the windows firewall.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 13:25 30 Sep 04

Free Firewalls :-
Kerio4 click here
Sygate click here
ZoneAlarm click here

1. Download before switcing off XP firewall
2. Disconnect from net
3. AS Santos7 to switch off XP firewall
4. Install new firewall and configure

charlton200 13:38 30 Sep 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Microsoft Surface PC release date, price and specs: All-in-one Surface PC to directly rival iMac

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Photoshop video tutorials: 8 video tutorial websites for Photoshop

Apple's event invitations decoded: A look back at 16 of Apple's most cryptic invites | Clues in…