Windows X.P. failure to boot

desperate1950 19:28 15 Jul 04

On occasions when I start my pride and joy it fails to boot up I then pull the plug and restart and it is fine it will recognise the hardware then its screen go,s blank and a promt in the top right hand corner appears and the only way to get it running again is to do the above any idea,s freinds

Desperate 1950

VoG II 19:31 15 Jul 04

"it fails to boot up" - what exactly happens please.

jonnytub 19:31 15 Jul 04

a prompt???

desperate1950 15:58 16 Jul 04

My P.C. it goes through its start up the beeb code sounds the bios then recognises the hard drive and both c.d. drives then it fails to load windows if I pull the plug and start again this usally works its a bit of a pain.
Thanks for your qwick response

Desperate 1950

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 17:20 16 Jul 04

When it fails to load windows do you get any sort of error message? does it stop at a black or blue screen with flashing cursor in top corner?

desperate1950 19:22 16 Jul 04

Hello fruitbat
My screan goes black sometime there is a flashing curser top left of screne most times nothing

Desperate 1950

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 19:38 16 Jul 04

Can you boot into safe mode? after initial boot HDD+CD recognied keep tapping F8 key to get to safe mode then when in safe mode
tpye sfc /scannow in run box with XP CD in drive to repair missing / corrupted files.

desperate1950 12:23 20 Jul 04

Hello fruit bat
No luck with your idea typed in sfc/scannow in run box with disc in and in safe mode keeps coming back with message cant find scannow file.

Desperate 1950

ventanas 13:30 20 Jul 04

Did you put in a space after sfc as Fruit Bat /\0/\ wrote.

desperate1950 14:42 22 Jul 04

Hi There Ventanas& Fruit bat have tried your suggestion again with no luck I boot up go to save mode put disc in type sfc /scannow and nothing happens thank you for your help so far

Desperate 1950

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:12 22 Jul 04

Could be a corrupt driver file.

In safe mode click control panel - system - hardware - device manager.

Are there any yellow exclamation marks on the dvices i.e modem, display driver, CD/DVD if so unistall the device windows will refind it when you reboot and install the drivers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5