Windows XP fails to boot

My PC has windows XP PRO installed and now fails to boot. It hangs on the Windows boot screen.
If I switch off and restart and select any of the 3 SAFE modes it always stops when trying to access the file Mup.sys located in system32\drivers. I will assume that this file is corrupt or the device it is looking for is faulty. Selecting last known config resulted in the same outcome.
How can i get round this problem

bvw in bristol 08:59 10 Mar 03

Similar problem reported here: click here

I have no PCI cards installed on my motherboard.
I removed the 1394 card which has its own connection, but no luck. This leaves the graphics card but I dont have a spare. I only built this PC last week and all worked well up til now.

Bluescreen 09:31 10 Mar 03

I built my own pc with Me on it. When I upgraded to Xp, I had loads of problems.One which I just could not fix. My onle solution was to write H/D back to zeros and do clean install. Now all ok.Since your pc is new, maybe best solution

AndySD 09:31 10 Mar 03

Try going into the bios and disabling the USB ports.

AndySD 09:35 10 Mar 03

Ok so I am a little slow today.....
If disabling the USB works go to the Device Manager and reinstall the drivers.

If not then try a repair instalation click here you will not lose any data... but you will need to reinstall any updates you have previously installed

I have been to the bios and disabled just about everything not required to boot into windows.
No luck so I shall try a restore

Bluescreen 09:43 10 Mar 03

Keep us up to date.##Good luck

I had to do a low level format and reinstall to cure this problem. Been OK since but coulnot trace the fault

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…