Windows XP Extending size of partitioned sector

noddy 12:40 07 Feb 07

Hello All..

Wonder if you can assist me with something, after recent installation of new motherboard, processor etc the workshop assigned 5 gb of my only hard as partitioned drive for startup etc in order to retain my data on hard drive.

my hard drive is 80 gb, of which 20 gb is FREE to use, with 5 GB assigned to partitioned sector, after recent extensive windows updates..I now only have less than 1 GB of this drive available, and would like to SAFELY extend the size of this partitioned sector, and also amend so that direct download does not automatiaclly go to this drive.

Appreciate your interevention / comments

Thanks
Steve

Rtus 12:56 07 Feb 07

figures dont quite add up,however if youve an 80gb drive (is this the formatted size?) the 5gb assigned for partition,is part of Xp setup,not able to play with that as it holds recovery /boot data. you would need to clarify your figures before help can be offered. please back-up your system using ghost or similar before undertaking any adjustments

noddy 13:03 07 Feb 07

Hi Rtus.. A lot of partioning and sector allocations alien to me..Is it possible to extend the size of 5gb upto greater size, without detrimental or adverse affects on other drives..Dont really want to upset the existing apple cart, if you catch my drift..looking for ideally quick and easy fix as opposed to ghosting / merging / formatting and re-assigning. Thanks again

baldtaco 13:34 07 Feb 07

5 gig is plenty, let's not put the cart before the horse. Supposing you put on SP2 separately [as in, you didn't do a slipstream install] you can dump the SP2 uninstall files - click here One can use click here to remove hotfix backups. Similarly, click here, that would be a good idea to run anyway, offers the option to remove hotfix uninstallers [tick the penultimate box unticked by default]. Then run click here , that isn't the latest version, the latest version is in Italian, but I have used both to good effect.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced