Windows XP Explorer freezing

johnexpgn 09:23 31 Dec 09

I presently have this problem with windows:

In in the explorer window, when I try to copy large files from one area to another the system freezes up and the task either doesn't do anything or partially copies a few files.
Also if I double click on a folder on my desktop the screen freezes. I can sometimes get the screen to clear by pressing : ctrl+alt+del but usually the only solution is to turn the power off and reboot.
I did think this may have been caused when I tried to install Nero Lite from one of the PC Advisor DVDs. During the installation process the install wizard downloaded some Microsoft files which it claimed were necessary. The program appeared to install ok but would not function. I therefore uninstalled it.
I also tried resetting windows to a date earlier than the Nero installation and still the problem persists.
I seem to be able to get other programs in windows to function ok as long as I keep out of explorer.
Any ideas??

johnexpgn 13:58 31 Dec 09

In addition,it has occurred to me it could be that the computer RAM is insufficient to cope with copying large files or folders.
I did try the same procedure for copying the files using Adobe Bridge in Photoshop CS3 and had the same problems with freezing.

woodchip 14:00 31 Dec 09

Have you tried copy in Safe Mode? if it works, you will have a driver problem

woodchip 14:05 31 Dec 09

roblem is or could be the link that IE as with WE as they are closely linked in windows and things like Google Tool Bard can play havoc with WE

Graphicool1 14:05 31 Dec 09

In IE click 'Tools' 'Manage Add-ons' 'Enable or disable 'Add Ons'
Check to see if there is anything in there that either you haven't added. If there is then disable it and see how IE runs without it?

johnexpgn 17:08 31 Dec 09

Sorry I should have made myself clear.
The problem occurs not with 'Internet Explorer' but with the 'My Computer' page when I want to shuffle or copy files around the computer.
In the old days this used to be called 'windows explorer'.
I have not tried safe mode. I will have a go at that.

woodchip 17:27 31 Dec 09

Yes thats what I said, Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer are linked, Thats why Add on's like Google tool bar and other things can upset windows. Thats why you are being told to remove or disable any Browser Add on's

Muergo 18:01 31 Dec 09

Jumping in on your thread, I have exactly same problems with IE8,
It says to disable each Add on and plugin etc one by one until you find the one causing the trouble.

I have lots, so I just don't use IE and stay with Firefox until I find a quicker way to fix it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:15 31 Dec 09

Repair XP

OPTION 1 - Repair XP by replacing corrupt files
Type

sfc /scannow

in the run box, press enter and let system file checker find and replace missing / corrupt file in windows and explorer.This will take awhile to complete and you may be asked for the CD to be in the drive if windows is not preinstalled on the hard drive.

sfc /scannow problems
click here

OPTION 2 - Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

3. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

4. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

5. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

6. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP
click here

johnexpgn 18:36 22 Jan 10

I discovered that my computer was infected with some malware which affected Windows and that the operating system will have to be reinstalled.
Certain operations and programs are failing to operate or respond.
I have had to turn off the G data security system as it was completely taking over the computer during supposedly background operating mode. I have tried to contact Gdata by email and telephone for support and have received no response. I will therefore not be using their product again, despite it coming top in PC advisor reviews.
I have decided therefore to upgrade the computer to a better model and make a fresh start.
Many thanks to all for your help.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Animator Emanuele Kabu’s psychedelic video is a stunning tribute to Lisbon city

Best Mac antivirus 2017