Windows XP explorer - faulty module desk.cpl

Terence-326338 11:38 08 Mar 08

Help.....my pc no longer start windows. On booting up thsi morning I received the dreaded exporer has encountered an error message. Started in safe mode and restored to the last checkpoint. Still no joy. Now if I try and start windows normally all I get is a blank screen.

Error log says - faulting application explorer.exe v.6.0.2900.3156, faulting module desk.cpl v.5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0X000063fd.

I fould a previous version of desk.cpl on my servicepack files and copied this over the one on system32 folder. Still no joy.

Can anyone help?

howard64 12:26 08 Mar 08

If you have the windows cd you could boot from that and then use the repair option to sort it out.

Terence-326338 16:53 08 Mar 08

Hi Howard, attempted to reboot from my windows cd but it would not let me as the version on my pc was newer that that on the cd. SP2 I suspect. Anyway, I restarted the pc and hit f10 in the vain hope of getting the recovery console and hey presto windows started normally. I guess it will all happen again the next time I power down.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…